The next big ticket item?

bac

Reaction score
^ That product was also to promote the launch of Galaxy's Edge, and a perfect alignment of stars since the Falcon was the centerpiece of the experience at launch.

Reaction score
Is this the case really though? A $400 Millennium Falcon in a giant box easily sold out two short years ago. I suppose it was mostly (fully?) online but it was a Target item with no kickstarter to drive it.
They just need to not have them on store shelves and also stop shooting themselves in the foot by making too much then selling them on clearance. Online only is the way to go for vehicles once they go past a certain size.

Reaction score
^ That product was also to promote the launch of Galaxy's Edge, and a perfect alignment of stars since the Falcon was the centerpiece of the experience at launch.
It came out a year after Galaxy's Edge opened.

Reaction score
Interesting HasLab poll on Bossk’s Bounty

From 500 votes Top 5 were:
1. Sandcrawler
2. Cantina
3. The Ghost
4. Imperial Shuttle
5. Figure packs

I'd be interested to see results from a poll run here and on other sites to see how the results differ. It would be interesting if a consensus was reached, since there seems to be a wide spectrum of thought on what collectors think Hasbro should do next.

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see results from a poll run here and on other sites to see how the results differ. It would be interesting if a consensus was reached, since there seems to be a wide spectrum of thought on what collectors think Hasbro should do next.

The Top 4 all got between 11.7 and 14.6% of the vote (IIRC) so it was tight. I think Yakface did a poll recently where the Ghost was in top place

bac

Reaction score
Those top five aren't really that surprising. At this point I'll take any of them and be happy.

Reaction score
What HasLab item would need a window anyways? I don't recall any of the Vintage boxed toys having a window either, that didn't start until POTF2.

Unfortunately this type of stuff doesn't happen around here anymore. I get it, that it's all done on SM these days but not everyone is into it.

The Top 4 all got between 11.7 and 14.6% of the vote (IIRC) so it was tight. I think Yakface did a poll recently where the Ghost was in top place
Yeah, but remember it was only 500 people and a very small drop in the bucket really. Not that there would be much more of a turnout here and likely be some crossover but would give us a little more insight, or at the very least a visual perspective since that poll was done via comments not an actual poll with votes for a list of preselected items.

Reaction score
Outside of the Imperial shuttle, a U-Wing, or the Ghost, I can't see much that would catch my attention that's feasible. A sandcrawler isn't for me, nor the Cantina or Ewok village. The rest all seem fairly impractical outside of a modular design.

Impractical used to be the motto for HasLab - I think that's half the point of them, or at least should be. The items chosen shouldn't be practical for retail, and all but the Razor Crest have been so far, so put them up on a crowd platform and let the fans decide. I think possibly modular sets should be given a shot at least once to see if they are popular to back, which I really believe any of them would be.

But hey, the great thing about a HasLab is you don't have to purchase what is being offered. So if it's a Sandcrawler, Cantina or Ewok Village, you save some money. If it's the other 3 you mentioned, get that wallet ready! We def. agree on the Imperial Shuttle - I still think something like that could be done as an exclusive to make it more widely available. It's still a conventional item, but one of the largest vehicles in the main line. Because of how vehicles have gone these days, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was done as a HasLab. I just hope they'd really go all out like the blue curves lights in the cockpit, wider cockpit ramp with footpegs, light up blue engines, and a simple flight soundboard would be sweet. It would be cool if they even went so far as to put the small white landing lights on the wing tips. Hopefully they would do a better wing mechanism so that they wouldn't be unstable since the wings house most of the weight of the ship.

Reaction score
Considering how some people insist that a Death Star playset is the ultimate, end all/be all Star Wars item, and it would totally fund immediately as a Haslab, it's interesting that it came in sixth.

Reaction score
With all its different rooms the DS would be the most versatile/diverse set. So if well executed it would be difficult for another piece to top it. In that sense it could be considered the ultimate.

When it comes to polls, I think the results vary depending on the audience of the venue/platform being asked to vote. Judging by comments throughout this thread, it appears that the Sandcrawler and Mos Eisley Cantina are consistent with the top two wants amongst members here as well.

Reaction score
Wasn't the GE BMF supposed to be a park exclusive but with covid all the park items got moved to Target temporarily? I don't think Target would have ever gotten it without park shutdowns.

Reaction score
With all its different rooms the DS would be the most versatile/diverse set. So if well executed it would be difficult for another piece to top it. In that sense it could be considered the ultimate.

When it comes to polls, I think the results vary depending on the audience of the venue/platform being asked to vote. Judging by comments throughout this thread, it appears that the Sandcrawler and Mos Eisley Cantina are consistent with the top two wants amongst members here as well.
You're talking about the quality of the potential finished product. The poll was about what things people would like to see attempted. What I'm saying is, there are people on this forum who like to say that a Death Star is some kind of Holy Grail for EVERYONE, not just themselves, and that a DS Haslab is just the biggest no-brainer and would fund, no questions asked. I'm saying this poll, for whatever it's worth, challenges that idea because the DS didn't even make the top five of things people want Haslab to try.

Reaction score
You're talking about the quality of the potential finished product. The poll was about what things people would like to see attempted. What I'm saying is, there are people on this forum who like to say that a Death Star is some kind of Holy Grail for EVERYONE, not just themselves, and that a DS Haslab is just the biggest no-brainer and would fund, no questions asked. I'm saying this poll, for whatever it's worth, challenges that idea because the DS didn't even make the top five of things people want Haslab to try.
I really don't recall seeing many posts by individuals claiming that a DS would be a holy grail for everyone. Mostly people are promoting pieces that they would like to add to their personal collection. I do see quite a lot of posts (by a vocal minority) who do not want a DS and who actively campaign continuously against the idea of HasLab offering it.

Reaction score
Wasn't the GE BMF supposed to be a park exclusive but with covid all the park items got moved to Target temporarily? I don't think Target would have ever gotten it without park shutdowns.
I feel that the evidence doesn't really support that theory; however, I can totally understand why folks might make that conclusion.

Reaction score
I really don't recall seeing many posts by individuals claiming that a DS would be a holy grail for everyone. Mostly people are promoting pieces that they would like to add to their personal collection. I do see quite a lot of posts (by a vocal minority) who do not want a DS and who actively campaign continuously against the idea of HasLab offering it.
What can I tell you? I guess we've been reading two entirely different threads.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hah, back when this was a big topic, I almost put together a 2,000-word essay laying out (what I felt was) evidence that this wasn't overstocked or new stocked Galaxy's Edge items being shipped to Target. Instead of looking like Charlie Kelly, I think the argument can be boiled down to this:

I think the Galaxy's Edge cross-promotion was always designed to bring in Disney's corporate partners on a level similar to that of a theatrical release. Mattel, Lego, and Hasbro created their own products "inspired by" Disney & LFL's designs, and it was intended they be sold at Target to hype up both GE and Disney's new partnership with the store. I tend to believe this for a few reasons:
  • The products sold at Target were never sold at Galaxy's Edge (in spite of WDW beginning reopening in early July and the products debuting at Target in late August)
  • The Target products differ greatly from their equivalents at Galaxy's Edge (eg Hasbro used their BAD mold with foot-wires, not Disney's BAD mold as sold in the parks, Mattel's plush vs Disney's plush, Hasbro's build-a-lightsaber vs Disney's build-a-lightsaber, etc)
  • The packaging (both design and nomenclature) differs greatly from that found in GE, both before and after the promotion
    • A noteworthy exception are the Black Series sets. However, even the single-carded figures weren't sold in GE before or after the promotion
  • The products that were sold in GE never did get sold in Target stores
Had the products been intended for sale at GE, then I would expect to see the packaging designs to have changed to what was seen in Target, rather than keeping with the same design elements seen prior to closure. Now, I do believe that the timing of the promotion was affected by Covid: I think a May (to coincide with May the 4th and the end of school) versus August release would make more sense, but that is speculation on my part.

I don't want for anyone to think this is intended to be a bad faith "lol no you're wrong" kind of post. I get why people would think that new products that were to be sold in closed parks would instead get sold elsewhere. I just wanted to provide a bit of context based on my understanding of the products sold at GE versus those sold at Target.

Reaction score
Either way it sucked. Most of the stuff never hit shelves, probably would have been better to just put in the parks tbh

Reaction score
Bossk's Bounty apparently did a poll and out of 500 votes the Sandcrawler came in at #1 so if this is indicative of how the rest of the community feels I'd say it stands a good chance if Hasbro were to do a poll on what to do.

That said, it once again annoys me that so many people voted for vehicles we already have rather than wanting something we don't have yet. So my vote will always go towards the Ghost over anything else followed closely by the Cantina which also came in second in his poll.

Another sad element is that action figure packs are seemingly gaining popularity when those candidates voted on should be main line releases!
Now I get using HasLab for very obscure ones because they simply don't have retail power but in no world should we need it to get Ben, Han, Luke and Leia period. And truthfully if that's what HasLab devolves into is figures of main characters and vehicles we already have I'll have to bow out of supporting it.
Yeah, I am on the final lap of collecting. Because of the factors we discuss regularly here, including the ones that are removed, I see no reason to continue after ILC Luke.

Reaction score
I am impressed at the love for the Sandcrawler - I totally get your sentiments for why you wound't want it. For me, I'll take any vehicle from the OT that hasn't been TVC'd yet. In other words - new molds, new features, retro packaging (though packaging doesn't really matter that much to me - it's more that all the various previous assortment of vehicle releases look really good together). I think the Disney one had potential and the features are very cool, but it was just too small for me still to pull the trigger. If a potential new Sandcrawler came with say a Droid Factory inside and all kinds of B.A.D. parts plus one of the rarer droids from inside the belly of the beast, would you be more inclined to buy it?

Looking at the Kenner stuff, pretty much everything I want has been released in the original line, but just has yet to be remade with modern tech and design and size.
1. Death Star
2. Ewok Village
3. Mos Eisley Cantina
4. Sandcrawler
5. Echo Base of some sort that expands the ideas of the 3 prior (Imperial Attack Base, Hoth Ice Planet and Turret + Probot trench)
6. Imperial Shuttle (I would hope they could get this out as an exclusive, but seeing how rare large vehicles are, I could also see it as a HasLab unfortunately)
7. Rebel Troop Transport (not sexy at all, but I dig the ship and they could get creative and put a med bay inside. I'd like to see it made even if it was simplistic)

I'm obviously OT skewed and if they made something different I'll be happy for other people's interests, but disappointed simply because as we get further from the OT and more into new media, I really fear for any of that stuff above to even get made. They surprised us with the Jabba Throne Room in disguise as Bib's, but that still required a new media slant, which bothers me and worries me. Hoping that the ROTJ 40th brings us something like the Ewok Village since it makes perfect sense. I'd be over the moon for ANY of those 7 above. I think a smaller Dagobah could be done outside the HasLab concept and I'd want that too.
Given the upcoming anniversary, I would hope Hasbro would take advantage to do a brand-new Imperial Shuttle. Given the modular design for the Tantive IV Hallway, I could also see plastic treehouses being released.

Reaction score
Hah, back when this was a big topic, I almost put together a 2,000-word essay laying out (what I felt was) evidence that this wasn't overstocked or new stocked Galaxy's Edge items being shipped to Target. Instead of looking like Charlie Kelly, I think the argument can be boiled down to this:

I think the Galaxy's Edge cross-promotion was always designed to bring in Disney's corporate partners on a level similar to that of a theatrical release. Mattel, Lego, and Hasbro created their own products "inspired by" Disney & LFL's designs, and it was intended they be sold at Target to hype up both GE and Disney's new partnership with the store. I tend to believe this for a few reasons:
  • The products sold at Target were never sold at Galaxy's Edge (in spite of WDW beginning reopening in early July and the products debuting at Target in late August)
  • The Target products differ greatly from their equivalents at Galaxy's Edge (eg Hasbro used their BAD mold with foot-wires, not Disney's BAD mold as sold in the parks, Mattel's plush vs Disney's plush, Hasbro's build-a-lightsaber vs Disney's build-a-lightsaber, etc)
  • The packaging (both design and nomenclature) differs greatly from that found in GE, both before and after the promotion
    • A noteworthy exception are the Black Series sets. However, even the single-carded figures weren't sold in GE before or after the promotion
  • The products that were sold in GE never did get sold in Target stores
Had the products been intended for sale at GE, then I would expect to see the packaging designs to have changed to what was seen in Target, rather than keeping with the same design elements seen prior to closure. Now, I do believe that the timing of the promotion was affected by Covid: I think a May (to coincide with May the 4th and the end of school) versus August release would make more sense, but that is speculation on my part.

I don't want for anyone to think this is intended to be a bad faith "lol no you're wrong" kind of post. I get why people would think that new products that were to be sold in closed parks would instead get sold elsewhere. I just wanted to provide a bit of context based on my understanding of the products sold at GE versus those sold at Target.
Agreed. Based on the packaging alone, the Falcon was never earmarked for Galaxy's Edge (elsewhere in the parks....maybe?)

But items in SWGE proper do not not have Star Wars labeling on them (at least not on the front of the packaging.) You'll never see "SW: Vintage Collection!" branded items in Galaxy's Edge.

Reaction score
More Death Star food for thought...Frank Diorio ("NiubNiub" back in the day) has been posting updates of a giant Death Star diorama he is building with all the relevant rooms, including 2 different Hangars and an Emperor's Throne Room.

So far it is just a small maquette version not scaled to figures,but the scope is certainly impressive and in no way feasible as a HasLab or modular sales model by room.

FB_IMG_1670439076598.jpg

Reaction score
More Death Star food for thought...Frank Diorio ("NiubNiub" back in the day) has been posting updates of a giant Death Star diorama he is building with all the relevant rooms, including 2 different Hangars and an Emperor's Throne Room.

So far it is just a small maquette version not scaled to figures,but the scope is certainly impressive and in no way feasible as a HasLab or modular sales model by room.

View attachment 444758
The problem is that thing doesn't and will never look like the deathstar.

Reaction score
I could see them only making an actual fullish throne room. Their playsets will never be that big ,lol.

Reaction score
Why does it need to look like the deathstar from the exterior? I'm not understanding this argument that only the deathstar gets.
A deathstar that doesn't look like a deathstar is bad. Now a specific room is ok but to call something a deathstar it should look like it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Death Star briefing room.

Death Star control room.

Death Star detention block.

Reaction score
I actually would love for some big product to look like the Death Star. I’ve looked all over for something, like maybe a big blow-up pool toy or whatever, and there’s very little in the whole world of Star Wars merchandise that’s larger than a volleyball (and even those sizes are really rare).

Btw, every other Star Wars product would get trashed if it didn’t look like what it’s supposed to look like on the outside; everything else is either small enough to look good both inside and out or just not as iconic on the outside.

There’s never been an argument about something else looking like it’s supposed to look on the outside because nothing else applies—that’s why the Death Star is “the only one.”