Stormtrooper - VC***

Reaction score
The page has been up since shortly after 10am ET. It might have been a bit earlier on the app IIRC.
Oof. My timing was totally off :LOL:
Oh well. I suppose I may have to wait awhile, but there's no way that Stormtrooper doesn't get released again in some capacity at some point in the future, so it [rather they] will be mine, one day, eventually.

Reaction score
Luckily this is coming through the fan channel here, so getting it was not as difficult as in the US.

I really hope WM has a ton of these on the pegs in the fall. If this had to be a store exclusive (and I'll never understand a figure like this being a store exclusive and not a main line release), then I hope WM ordered a huge number of this figure so they can put a ton on the pegs.

Reaction score
Even if WM did not order a ton this is a new mold. Hasbro will milk this for all they can. I fully expect this will be out in the main line in 2023 to celebrate Return of the Jedi at the least. As someone who was shutout yesterday on Stormtroopers I am frustrated but playing the long game will pay off.

Reaction score
I was thinking Hasbro could easily repack this figure on an Obi-Wan card. In the trailer you can see that the stormtroopers are wearing holsters.

ZX3

Reaction score
Via Banthaskull:

View attachment 416705
STAR WARS THE VINTAGE COLLECTION 3.75-INCH STORMTROOPER Figure
(HASBRO/Age 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $14.99/Available: Fall 2022)
STAR WARS THE VINTAGE COLLECTION 3.75-INCH STORMTROOPER figure features iconic Kenner branding, inspired by the original ‘96 figures produced by Kenner. This STORMTROOPER figure is presented on an individual VINTAGE COLLECTION STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE cardback and makes a great gift for STAR WARS collectors and fans. This figure comes with 1 entertainment-inspired accessory that makes a great addition to any STAR WARS collection. Highly articulated with fully poseable head, arms, and legs, the STORMTROOPER figure can be displayed in action figure and vehicle collections and features premium design across multiple points of articulation. Available for pre-order March 24 at 1PM ET, exclusively at Walmart.

From the designer:

“We wanted to celebrate Imperial stormtroopers this year with updates to the figure which add value for the collectors. We have recently added great new function with rocker ankles for these troops, but we couldn’t stop there! With this release we have added a new hip holster to his left hip for a more accurate Star Wars: A New Hope look and added play. We have also put this stormtrooper on an Original 96 Star Wars: A New Hope Kenner cardback for the first time in The Vintage Collection, filling a great classic spot in your collections.” – Emily Cantelupe, Sr. Product Designer

View attachment 416706
Thoughts on this figure?
Interesting that this is supposed to be a definitive ANH stormtrooper but it still has the RO style ribbed texture bodysuit rather than the smooth undersuit of the OT.
Not that I mind- I like the extra detail on the textured suit, but this really isn't the design from A New Hope.

Reaction score
Sold out. Thanks to all those that decided to army build!! Seriously, I think I’m done with this crap. It really is getting old.

Reaction score
Sold out. Thanks to all those that decided to army build!! Seriously, I think I’m done with this crap. It really is getting old.
IKR? Now I personally don't care because I'm not into Stormies as much as others but it does seem very odd to make this particular upgraded Stormtrooper a Walmart Exclusive for which you cannot buy full cases of from places like EE or BBTS. So when you see people carts with 4X this guy while others struggle to get orders in it's frustrating for sure, especially when it sells out and you have to play the long game of waiting and watching the site for a restock.

What's worse is that if in stock quantities don't last very long once October hits it means that those people will have to wait another entire year for the Exclusivity to run out before that mold can be released again on TVC card in the main line. That said, it may be possible for Hasbro to do another 4-pk via Pulse as it's "different" packaging and release style.

Reaction score
It's really no different than the ARC Trooper issue, people post - "I got my half dozen!" - that's all that really matters to them. That's why I wish Hasbro would pre-empt some army builder releases with a message that they'd be available in 4-packs later, so maybe it would slow down hoarding. I think most of those people would do it anyway though. Surely, since this is now the definitive upgrade, it will be carded again and in a 4-pack eventually. The onus is on Hasbro to meet demand, and retailers to prevent hoarding though.

Reaction score
It's not really up to the retailer to "police" that aspect though, it has always been first come first serve society and it's up to society to exhibit respect and courtesy towards others. Yet personal greed is everywhere and wins out every time...

You can't expect moral behavior or common decency from average citizens when their very own leaders, celebrities and CEO of corporations lack it.

Reaction score
It's not really up to the retailer to "police" that aspect though, it has always been first come first serve society and it's up to society to exhibit respect and courtesy towards others. Yet personal greed is everywhere and wins out every time...

You can't expect moral behavior or common decency from average citizens when their very own leaders, celebrities and CEO of corporations lack it.

I dunno, Target seems to pretty successfully limit hoarding in a number of cases, as they clearly want as many of their customers to be satisfied, and not left empty-handed. They did this in-store as well for some exclusives, making people pick up a single figure at the electronics counter, instead of allowing a hoarding collector or scalper to take an entire case straight from the stockroom. That's probably the only reason I was able to get a prototype Boba Fett.

I suppose some of us are expecting too much from strangers, but in many hobbies, especially ones where you discuss it with fellow collectors for years, sometimes decades, there can and should be a bit more comradery. The selfish nature of some people is just disappointing, if nothing else - it certainly doesn't make me want to look at their photos of hoarded army builders, lol.

Reaction score
It sold out before 1 PM when they were *supposed* to go live. There was a limit of 2 per order. So some people must have been pretty quick on the draw to be able to place multiple orders. I kept trying but getting the high demand item message. Hopefully they are able to be purchased after they release, like most of the Clone Wars wave is now. There really is no reason for this wave to be exclusive. Hasbro would have cleaned up at mass retail. Especially with solid cases of the Stormtrooper.

Reaction score
yea the limit of 2 per order was happening .. it didnt say limit 2 but 2 is all i could put into the cart... so i had to do it 2x. ... i think maybe the site trying to update quantities was the reason ... either way it was a cluster.

Reaction score
There wasnt a limit of 2 when I ordered, as I have two orders of four each to use on my Tantive IV display. I know that sucks for some of you, but its not like I am getting rid of these, they are all getting opened up (minus the best card) and going to good use.

I think this is a hasbro/walmart issue more than a collector/buyer issue. They should be releasing these by the case.

Reaction score
Again, as a consumer, it’s not my responsibility to make sure there’s enough to go around. The producer and retail partner are completely at fault for not meeting demand, and, as always, botching the preorder process.

The fact that army builders even become exclusives are absolutely ridiculous in the first place. I’m also not sure why people have to justify wanting more than one figure in these cases. Especially given that many of this character show up on screen at the same time, and the recent availability of Hasbro made dioramas would suggest that displayability is a dynamic feature they had in mind. This is the best Stormtrooper sculpt available so far, and there’s going to be a huge demand for multiples. Obviously, people who even have small displays are going to probably order two to four of them. They are also not scene specific, so you can toss them in pretty much any diorama you have/make, increasing their versatility, and in turn, demand.

Their scarcity, limited window of availability, and increased demand are creating an issue, just like the ARC Trooper did. If I want to buy 20 of these, they should have the product availability for me to do so. They’re otherwise simply leaving money on the table. Which is of course also not surprising, considering Hasbro’s track record of never passing up an opportunity to make a bad decision.

Reaction score
I ordered my one. All I need.

The CFC stormie works for my ESB collection. There are stormtroopers in the Battle of Endor without the hip holster, so the four-pack stormies fit into that film's collection nicely (although I'm sure an armor expert above my pay grade would point out any inaccuracies). But it's good enough for me.

At this point, I see no need for me to ever buy another stormtrooper. At least for what I want my collection to be.

Reaction score
Again, as a consumer, it’s not my responsibility to make sure there’s enough to go around. The producer and retail partner are completely at fault for not meeting demand, and, as always, botching the preorder process.

The fact that army builders even become exclusives are absolutely ridiculous in the first place. I’m also not sure why people have to justify wanting more than one figure in these cases. Especially given that many of this character show up on screen at the same time, and the recent availability of Hasbro made dioramas would suggest that displayability is a dynamic feature they had in mind. This is the best Stormtrooper sculpt available so far, and there’s going to be a huge demand for multiples. Obviously, people who even have small displays are going to probably order two to four of them. They are also not scene specific, so you can toss them in pretty much any diorama you have/make, increasing their versatility, and in turn, demand.

Their scarcity, limited window of availability, and increased demand are creating an issue, just like the ARC Trooper did. If I want to buy 20 of these, they should have the product availability for me to do so. They’re otherwise simply leaving money on the table. Which is of course also not surprising, considering Hasbro’s track record of never passing up an opportunity to make a bad decision.
While you make fair point and I agree to an extent, it's still called common courtesy for you fellow brethren. Does a person really need 4 up front, when you could split the difference and wait till they come in stock to order more? That's the greed aspect I'm talking about, I wanted to army build some stuff too but I wait until these items become readily available before I do and often get some good deals too. You wouldn't believe how many recent figures I was able to obtain cheaper than MSRP simply by waiting, and truthfully I was shocked at how good the sales were on TCW Ahsoka, Echo, Armorer, Gideon etc. I've bought at least 4-5 each for under their retail prices.

And like you said it really is up to the manufacturer to make sure there is enough for everyone. However, the line isn't as robust as it was pre-2012 so the simple fact is there is never going to be enough to meet demand. I also feel that if it weren't for army builders and customizers the line would be in more trouble than it already is, it's those customers that are buying up what doesn't eventually get sold. And like it or not those people who are only after one of each will eventually get theirs when it becomes more available, or they may have to pay the premium from secondary market. It's been this way for decades and only more recently does it feel heightened with so many "investors" trying to makes dime.

I truly do not know any other way for Hasbro to handle it other than not making the one army builder most people wanted a limited Exclusive! This feel like a brain dead decision on their behalf. I mean knowing that this is likely the standard going forward we'll see repaints for Gaming Greats etc. so out of all the possible variants why make the basic Stormie the exclusive???

Reaction score
IKR? Now I personally don't care because I'm not into Stormies as much as others

I passed completely on this one. Price, retailer and the overall lack of desire for this figure build made it easy to skip on pre-order day.

but it does seem very odd to make this particular upgraded Stormtrooper a Walmart Exclusive for which you cannot buy full cases of from places like EE or BBTS.

It's just seems to be what Hasbro does now. And not just the Star Wars brand, Hasbro screwed G.I. Joe collectors with their ******* decision to make extremely desirable army builders Target exclusives in the primary market for the Joe Classified series. Just stupid, stupid calls on Hasbro's part these days.

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
I really don't understand what the difference is from pre-ordering multiples now or waiting until they come in stock later. There's really no difference if I buy ten figures now or ten figures later. Unless the underlying assumption is that the figures either might not be in-stock later or in sufficient quantities so people who missed out on the initial pre-order won't be able to pick them up at that time. If that's the case, then the argument for waiting to army build until later falls apart.

I'm personally not going to take the chance that when/if a figure does turn up in-stock at retail I'll be able find/purchase it in the quantities I want. I'm going to pre-order the amount I would like, when I'm able to, and in the quantities allowed by the retailer. I think it's wishful thinking to assume that if all the army-builders decided to buy only one or two of a figure it would have much impact on the pre-order availability. I would imagine the resellers/bots would just scoop up the excess. I waited months for my two cases of RO Stormies only to have them unceremoniously cancelled. I wasn't about to wait six months and pray I'd be able to pick up these ANH versions then.

I think it's misguided to attack other collectors over this. I try to help everyone have an equal opportunity to pick up figures when they go up for pre-order by posting links here, and in my collecting groups, when I can. Case in point the links for all the WM figs were posted here the night before. The real fault was succinctly stated by jodo:
The ire should more properly be directed at Hasbro & Walmart for making clearly a popular army-building figure an exclusive and not supplying enough to meet demand. They also completely botched the pre-order time and had continual technical glitches that prevented many from pre-ordering.

Reaction score
While you make fair point and I agree to an extent, it's still called common courtesy for you fellow brethren. Does a person really need 4 up front, when you could split the difference and wait till they come in stock to order more? That's the greed aspect I'm talking about, I wanted to army build some stuff too but I wait until these items become readily available before I do and often get some good deals too. You wouldn't believe how many recent figures I was able to obtain cheaper than MSRP simply by waiting, and truthfully I was shocked at how good the sales were on TCW Ahsoka, Echo, Armorer, Gideon etc. I've bought at least 4-5 each for under their retail prices.

And like you said it really is up to the manufacturer to make sure there is enough for everyone. However, the line isn't as robust as it was pre-2012 so the simple fact is there is never going to be enough to meet demand. I also feel that if it weren't for army builders and customizers the line would be in more trouble than it already is, it's those customers that are buying up what doesn't eventually get sold. And like it or not those people who are only after one of each will eventually get theirs when it becomes more available, or they may have to pay the premium from secondary market. It's been this way for decades and only more recently does it feel heightened with so many "investors" trying to makes dime.

I truly do not know any other way for Hasbro to handle it other than not making the one army builder most people wanted a limited Exclusive! This feel like a brain dead decision on their behalf. I mean knowing that this is likely the standard going forward we'll see repaints for Gaming Greats etc. so out of all the possible variants why make the basic Stormie the exclusive???
So your side of this discussion is that you effectively agree with me, and think some people should also wait to order? Perfect. They’ll even get a price discount!

Customizers and army builders are definitely playing their role in keeping the line profitable as well. I pick up many additional figures for both of these reasons, above or below retail. I do think you bring up an interesting point though…If people really do want these figures, on occasion, they can pick them up for several dollars below retail. On other occasions, perhaps like the ARC Trooper, they may need to turn to the secondary market, where they’ll pay a little extra. I don’t think that’s necessarily what people should have to do, but you really are playing the odds in the current market by either buying OR waiting.

Reaction score
Everyone is obviously free to buy whatever they please, even scalpers, that's not really the issue - it's the common courtesy for your fellow collectors as Masterfett mentioned, especially when people talk about how many they were able to order amongst messages from others discussing how they couldn't order a single figure because they were hoarded. For a limited run exclusive army builder, of course people are going to be disappointed if they can't buy one sample (especially for the cardback), while others have handfuls of them. I wouldn't think that notion would be so foreign to some, considering many of us have been here for years discussing the inner workings of this hobby. As I mentioned before, the onus is on Hasbro to meet demand, and it's nice when retailers set limits (as it helps avoid this issue), but when neither of those happen, that's when common courtesy comes into play. Maybe that doesn't exist much anymore, and perhaps this hobby isn't what it once was...

Reaction score
I really don't understand what the difference is from pre-ordering multiples now or waiting until they come in stock later. There's really no difference if I buy ten figures now or ten figures later. Unless the underlying assumption is that the figures either might not be in-stock later or in sufficient quantities so people who missed out on the initial pre-order won't be able to pick them up at that time. If that's the case, then the argument for waiting to army build until later falls apart.

I'm personally not going to take the chance that when/if a figure does turn up in-stock at retail I'll be able find/purchase it in the quantities I want. I'm going to pre-order the amount I would like, when I'm able to, and in the quantities allowed by the retailer. I think it's wishful thinking to assume that if all the army-builders decided to buy only one or two of a figure it would have much impact on the pre-order availability. I would imagine the resellers/bots would just scoop up the excess. I waited months for my two cases of RO Stormies only to have them unceremoniously cancelled. I wasn't about to wait six months and pray I'd be able to pick up these ANH versions then.

I think it's misguided to attack other collectors over this. I try to help everyone have an equal opportunity to pick up figures when they go up for pre-order by posting links here, and in my collecting groups, when I can. Case in point the links for all the WM figs were posted here the night before. The real fault was succinctly stated by jodo:

The ire should more properly be directed at Hasbro & Walmart for making clearly a popular army-building figure an exclusive and not supplying enough to meet demand. They also completely botched the pre-order time and had continual technical glitches that prevented many from pre-ordering.
I say this mainly due to the logistical stocking issues at a regional level meaning that the person ordering multiples may also find it locally while the person who couldn't get an order might never see it locally. If these items do still find their way to retail then the chances of someone in a larger city coming across them is greater than those in rural areas due to customer foot traffic. That's just how retail operates. We've seen it with Blue Leader where not every store got any meanwhile some stores got upwards of 24 units.

And yes I fully understand the feeling of the need to get them now or never see them, and that right there is the larger issue. But that is also something we cannot change along with other Hasbro nonsense , the only thing we as collectors can to is help one another.

Reaction score
I think the issue of common courtesy comes down to the assumption that every person that can, is in fact, “hoarding” the figures. For every other person ordering one or two, yes, there may be a person buying five or six, but that’s also potentially their focus in collecting, where they find joy in army building. To me, the defining negative feature would be hoarding with an intent to sell…Otherwise, I’d consider it collecting.

It’s hard for me to give anyone the benefit of the doubt that “courtesy” plays a role in everyone getting one, as I’ll probably never see anything at retail, generally. I’m definitely inclined to purchase what I want, which is also typically the limit that the online stores allow. Additionally, I also typically have to schedule my day around those preorder windows, and take an additional break (or two or three) when they botch them, every single time. The process is a hassle on both ends. For people dedicated to ordering them, and for people who hope to get the second run or eventual brick and mortar stock. They simply don’t meet demand, and that is on Hasbro and their retail partners.

Reaction score
I really can’t stand how Hasbro’s poor management of this line turns collectors against each other.

In this day and age, there’s no real reason to have these solely as exclusives. They should all have open pre-order windows with payment taken upfront if need be.

Everyone should be able to get what they want. People should be allowed to buy one figure, a couple, or dozens cases of something like this if they want.

It feels like they’re leaving both money on the table and alienating their target market which makes no sense.