Pricing vs. Deluxe pricing

Reaction score
For the record… I am relatively new to the forum. I have been reading posts on here for over a year now and recently decided to join Rebelscum as some of the other forums were a bit “ opinionated “ to say the least. I really enjoy the conversation on here and the collector knowledge. Having grown up with Kenner Star Wars and GI Joe toys, I started buying toys from those markets for my boys in their younger years. Now, those boys are 11 and 13, and about a year and a half ago we decided that we would start a “collection” of our favorite movie figures from the Star Wars series of movies.
We have had a ton of fun ordering action figures and pre-ordering the new figures as they are released. So, I don’t have a ton of knowledge in the “collecting” field, but we are enjoying it none the less.
I have seen thread upon thread of recently released figures where the bulk of the commentary revolves around Deluxe figure pricing and the value contained within said package.
I’m not too green to understand that if you have been collecting for years and years, that these price increases may seem out of line or a “ money grab” by the producers of the toys we all collect.
At what point do we concede that the current economic environment dictates having to pay higher prices? I don’t like paying more for toys that sit on a shelf than anybody else does. But, at the same point, if I want to continue having fun and sharing something with my boys, I either have to pay the increase or decide that we are done with our collection.
Inflation is here, I don’t think we can deny it. Spending money either fits in our budget…or it doesn’t. No one forces me to collect these action figures.
I’m not wealthy, matter of fact, I am a municipal employee, a firefighter. I find some figures easy to acquire, and others very difficult. “Supply and demand”…there must be plenty of demand because there are currently gaps in our collection ( Scariff Squad Leader for example).
Everything is more expensive these days. Utilities to produce product, raw materials for those products, fuel to transport those products, wages for those who produce the product and the same elevated expenses for those who carry, stock, and sell that product. Add in some licensure fees and of course, don’t forget the liability insurance for producing that product and putting it into John Q. Public’s hands, and you shouldn’t really wonder why costs are going up.
I certainly don’t get upset reading people’s rants about prices, but I do periodically question if they have really thought it through and considered the cost increases associated with bringing a small piece of plastic pleasure to die hard collectors.
Sorry about the long post, and this is meant for constructive conversation and not calling anybody out.

Reaction score
Obvious Hasbro employee.....

It's hard not to look at the TVC "deluxe" Fett and see the that price is obviously being dictated by something other than the cost to produce. Since it's so blatantly obvious there we now have to wonder where else are we being price gouged where it's not as obvious.

Reaction score
For the record… I am relatively new to the forum. I have been reading posts on here for over a year now and recently decided to join Rebelscum as some of the other forums were a bit “ opinionated “ to say the least. I really enjoy the conversation on here and the collector knowledge. Having grown up with Kenner Star Wars and GI Joe toys, I started buying toys from those markets for my boys in their younger years. Now, those boys are 11 and 13, and about a year and a half ago we decided that we would start a “collection” of our favorite movie figures from the Star Wars series of movies.
We have had a ton of fun ordering action figures and pre-ordering the new figures as they are released. So, I don’t have a ton of knowledge in the “collecting” field, but we are enjoying it none the less.
I have seen thread upon thread of recently released figures where the bulk of the commentary revolves around Deluxe figure pricing and the value contained within said package.
I’m not too green to understand that if you have been collecting for years and years, that these price increases may seem out of line or a “ money grab” by the producers of the toys we all collect.
At what point do we concede that the current economic environment dictates having to pay higher prices? I don’t like paying more for toys that sit on a shelf than anybody else does. But, at the same point, if I want to continue having fun and sharing something with my boys, I either have to pay the increase or decide that we are done with our collection.
Inflation is here, I don’t think we can deny it. Spending money either fits in our budget…or it doesn’t. No one forces me to collect these action figures.
I’m not wealthy, matter of fact, I am a municipal employee, a firefighter. I find some figures easy to acquire, and others very difficult. “Supply and demand”…there must be plenty of demand because there are currently gaps in our collection ( Scariff Squad Leader for example).
Everything is more expensive these days. Utilities to produce product, raw materials for those products, fuel to transport those products, wages for those who produce the product and the same elevated expenses for those who carry, stock, and sell that product. Add in some licensure fees and of course, don’t forget the liability insurance for producing that product and putting it into John Q. Public’s hands, and you shouldn’t really wonder why costs are going up.
I certainly don’t get upset reading people’s rants about prices, but I do periodically question if they have really thought it through and considered the cost increases associated with bringing a small piece of plastic pleasure to die hard collectors.
Sorry about the long post, and this is meant for constructive conversation and not calling anybody out.
Welcome aboard. You make some valid points about pricing. But I think what bothers people most is the fevered pace of price increases recently. In the past prices have increased gradually, at most $2-3 more per figure every 2-3 years (talking 6” because that’s what I collect but clearly 3.75” pricing is all over the map too). Now we’re looking at paying that same $3 increase for “basic” figures but also a whopping $10+ increase for any figure that requires all new sculpting (labeled “deluxe”). And even those deluxe figures are reusing parts (looking at you ROTJ Boba and Cobb). And very few of these actually feel deluxe in any way, shape, or form. It just seems like Hasbro saw the plastic shortage, shipping costs/issues, price of comparably sized imports, and inflation as a means to shift towards the unfortunate algorithmic pricing that so many other companies utilize.

Reaction score

The fact that some items are hard to acquire is insane to me. Getting hold of BS Clone Wars Ahsoka required hours of searching though various websites. I got lucky when another user posted a link to a store that got some more in stock. Hasbro are not a small company, surely they should be able to produce enough to meet demand.

Reaction score
They increased the prices twice this past year or so. The first time it was sort of accepted, but frowned upon. The second hike was more noticable, especially as it came in the wake of that video where the late mr. Goldner said they had to maintain their 15% profit margin.
Quality issues with some figures like Boba's helmet, the meager selection of accessories, the 9 million paint apps (that aren't always screen accurate either), the Haslab Rancor with it's ridiculous price and now this 3.75 "Deluxe" Boba that cost as much as a regular Black Series figure.
I'm sure there are more examples.

I've said it before, as a European they are steadily pricing me out of this "fun" hobby, because of taxes, vat etc. I can't pay my bills with action figures, or eat them for that matter.
When even my fellow scummers are complaining about prices, availabilty, pre-orders etc. you know it's up hill.
I'm not out of the game yet, but as it is, it feels like it's closing in.

What would be great for a deluxe pricing? Look at the first ones.
Scout trooper WITH Speeder bike.
Jabba
Hoth Han AND Taun Taun
Hoth Luke AND Wampa

Even the Con exclusive Boba with Han in Carbonite would be a deluxe in my opinion. And it would feel right. Some of the other Exclusives could be Deluxe as well: The Shadow trooper double pack (although that might truly be the first real lazy repaint), Han and Greedo (although in reality just repacks with added table and cardboard), Jabba with Salacious and Hookah.

I don't care for Boba's cut-in-half-rifle, flame effects are ok. But hands, Hasbro... extra hands!
And as another scummer mentioned: Don't make the helmets to go on and off the figures, make a solid helmeted head, and a swappable non-helmeted.
Jar Jar being a deluxe because he has accessories he doesn't even use on screen... wtf!
Again, I am sure there are more examples - this is just what came to mind.

Reaction score
With just a few replies since I posted this, I have a clearer picture of why people are getting frustrated with the pricing. My post should have been worded differently too. I meant for it to come as more of a question and not me complaining, sorry bout that.
Seeing as I haven’t been collecting very long, I don’t have a feel for how rapidly the prices have gone up. I only collect the 6” BS so I have no idea what the 3.75” prices are like without a google search. Those toys are virtually non-existent in my area. I hardly see any 6” in any store and never see any Vintage Series at all.
My frame of reference is a little skewed also because when we first started and wanted to catch up with a handful of the original movie character, going online to find them looked way too expensive and eventually we figured out the over inflated prices some internet sellers were asking was just plain f…Ed up.

Reaction score
With just a few replies since I posted this, I have a clearer picture of why people are getting frustrated with the pricing. My post should have been worded differently too. I meant for it to come as more of a question and not me complaining, sorry bout that.
Seeing as I haven’t been collecting very long, I don’t have a feel for how rapidly the prices have gone up. I only collect the 6” BS so I have no idea what the 3.75” prices are like without a google search. Those toys are virtually non-existent in my area. I hardly see any 6” in any store and never see any Vintage Series at all.
My frame of reference is a little skewed also because when we first started and wanted to catch up with a handful of the original movie character, going online to find them looked way too expensive and eventually we figured out the over inflated prices some internet sellers were asking was just plain f…Ed up.

My point of view/advice:
Don't aim for a complete collection, unless you have unlimited funds.

Reaction score
My point of view/advice:
Don't aim for a complete collection, unless you have unlimited funds.

I was aiming for a complete Mandalorian collection. I've now abandoned that due to the increasing cost of figures and the fact that we're getting a bunch of very similar releases. We've now got three Din Djarin & Grogu double packs from different points in the series.

Reaction score
Same boat here…when we started we were going to get all the figures and within a couple months reality hit us in the face and we found that just getting our favorites and the “cool” ones would keep us plenty busy and within budget.

We did have one goal that we are still working on, which was to have a bunch of troopers in a squad. So I look forward to sharing those pictures when they arrive. It will be our “army build”.

In order to curb costs a bit we got some art supplies and started building small backgrounds and dioramas to have fun displaying the figures vs. completing a collection.

Reaction score
Same boat here…when we started we were going to get all the figures and within a couple months reality hit us in the face and we found that just getting our favorites and the “cool” ones would keep us plenty busy and within budget.

We did have one goal that we are still working on, which was to have a bunch of troopers in a squad. So I look forward to sharing those pictures when they arrive. It will be our “army build”.

In order to curb costs a bit we got some art supplies and started building small backgrounds and dioramas to have fun displaying the figures vs. completing a collection.
Just as a heads up, you can save some loot on the already released figures by picking them up on Mercari or Facebook groups. eBay is usually jacked up for prices. But if you join some of the bigger FB groups you can find some good deals. Just be careful and don’t pay with friends and family payments.

Reaction score
I agree! The swap meet idea is great! I don’t do Facebook but my wife does, maybe she can look for a couple of our hard to find items. I will not do eBay anymore, I got burned on my third transaction there and wrote it off as a “lesson learned”.
And as time goes by, I’m seeing more and more of the figures I thought were only available second hand are being re-released in some form of different packaging or with minor changes. We open them up to display them and keep the packaging, but the package doesn’t mean much to us.

Reaction score
And by the way, thank you to all of you that responded to this thread for not lighting me up.
After I re-read my Initial post, I realized it didn’t translate into print as I intended and sounded more like a gripe.
You all showed some patience and shared some tips and information, and I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, and for starting/jumping into a good discussion! Like you, I lurked for a long while before deciding to join in on the conversations. I've been a SW collector since the beginning and I've seen a lot of changes in the hobby, including price changes, product quality, product availability, etc. I know price increases are inevitable, and I've supported it where it made sense, but lately it hasn't always been making sense and it's the inconsistency of it that is frustrating to me. In the 6-inch line we have the upcoming Cobb Vanth "deluxe" figure at nearly 50% more than a standard release figure, and in the vintage collection line we have the just-announced Boba Fett "deluxe" figure at about a 100% increase over standard figures, and yet in both cases neither example shows anything that would warrant such prices, especially when compared to their standard release counterparts. Saying this is "insane" may admittedly be an overstatement (even though it certainly does feel insane!), but I do think calling it "insulting" feels pretty accurate. Supporting this hobby is already difficult when product is perpetually scarce at retail, but even more so when collectors are taken advantage of with this kind of arbitrary pricing. The most desired characters have become harder to obtain and, for collectors like me, this combination is not sustainable. As I get older I have wondered off and on if I should consider tapering off and eventually quitting this hobby, and while I don't actually want to quit Hasbro is making it easier and easier for me to take that consideration seriously.

Reaction score
Thank you. You made excellent points especially when price increases are put into percentage increase. It puts some emphasis on how dramatic the increase is.
it is interesting, yesterday I was doing some Christmas shopping and my boys like the video game Halo. Walmart had a 8 or 9” Master Chief action figure so I bought one for each of them. They were just shy of $18 each. However, it came with multiple weapon accessories and an additional 6 or 8 hands. Granted, I don’t know what the quality of the figure is and won’t get to see it again for another 8 days (I already wrapped them up), but if the joints are good, then it also puts Hasbro’s “deluxe” description into major question.

Reaction score
Thank you. You made excellent points especially when price increases are put into percentage increase. It puts some emphasis on how dramatic the increase is.
it is interesting, yesterday I was doing some Christmas shopping and my boys like the video game Halo. Walmart had a 8 or 9” Master Chief action figure so I bought one for each of them. They were just shy of $18 each. However, it came with multiple weapon accessories and an additional 6 or 8 hands. Granted, I don’t know what the quality of the figure is and won’t get to see it again for another 8 days (I already wrapped them up), but if the joints are good, then it also puts Hasbro’s “deluxe” description into major question.
The royalty fee for SW is outrageous, supposedly 20%. Thats a big part of why SW collectors seem to get shafted. When you look at a same size figure from the same company (Marvel, GI Joe, Power Rangers) it always looks like you get less with SW. And then when Hasbro gets cheap and makes inaccurate figures with reused parts (Koska Reeves), it doesn’t help.

Reaction score
Or... you DO work for Hasbro... putting out fires! LOL! ;)
OR... this is just the firetruck from Hasbro HQ 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

j/k and welcome @FarFett_ched92 😊😊

I second the advice given by Oofa and I want to add this one.
* Know your limits and stay true to them:
I was collecting 3,75 since vintage days up until somewhere after the release of ROTS. I had a 99% complete collection of loose figures, until I decited to get rid of them, because I no longer was interested in getting the same figures again and again just because of some minor upgrades. I really had shelfs full of different R2's, another one full of just Vaders and they kept coming ...
Then about 2 and a half year ago, I started collecting 6" with the goal of "just" getting the Bounty Hunters. As my shelfs felt empty after a while I added some women-of-SW, then I found a cheap Grievous at local GameStop and a few others. To shorten the story, as of today, I got a almost complete collection with only a few spots missing so far ... BUT compared to my 3.75 days I only get ONE version of each figure. I don't need 3 Old Ben Kenobis, 4 Vaders.... I am still a opener-collector but keep the boxes, so I am also not interrested in re-packs with new boxes or just because of photo-print-tech...

*And most important IMO, patience is your friend too ☝️😊😊
There are quite a few items in my collection I never thought I might be able to get, but as time passes, I actualy am able to find everything at some point earlier or later. A few FB groups, some trusted onlinescources and of course some help of some great fellow 'scummers here 😉😉 might help, too

As for the mentioned price increases, well times have changed and EVERYTHING experiences raising prices and there is nothing, we the customers can to against it.
Over here in Austria, a basic assortment TBS 6" figure found at retail is priced at 29,90 EURO ( about 35,- US ), Deluxe figure checks in with translated 55,- US over here. And availiblity sucks over here big time ( You don't want know, what exclusives or own-imported ones bill in, trust me)
As for me, I just accept it and take the prices as they come or I quit collecting 😉😉 Its that simple
"Collecting - Do it or do not"

Sorry for that huge reply, have a nice stay with the worlds greatest hive of 'scummers 😉😎😎 I am sticking here since about 20 years now and a few years more, before this place was named Rebelscum

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think $25-$30 for a basic TBS figure would be okay, if the line was mostly new sculpts and if paint applications were well applied across the board. Neither of those is the case, so I’m just not seeing the value in the line in many cases.
Exactly. I’d have no probably shelling out that kind of money for figures I didn’t have to fix. I’ve taken crap from people before for buying imports but I’d rather shell out the extra money for a well done figure that I can just enjoy. Don’t get me wrong, I love customizing. I just don’t love spending $30 on a figure and then having to repaint and fix it with 3rd party items.

Reaction score
I will say, having collected the BS6 inch line starting around November 2013, slowly at first, then snowballing in later years - any time I've missed getting any figure, it's always popped back up again 6-12 months down the line.
Even Hux - who I was never able to get one, is now reissued via the Galaxy Edge packs and I have a funny feeling he may even pop up single pack in another six months. ;)

There were a few times that I dipped into ebay, but very rarely - and again, that was born out of impatience!

I think the Thrawn exclusive gatefold box and Target Shadow Trooper set were the two I spent the most money on, but nothing TOO crazy.

Reaction score
Personally I am torn between ”standard“ and “ deluxe“ pricing.

I have no issues paying for a figure that’s packed with accessories like the Target Mandalorian / Grogu sets. Having Boba Fett being “deluxe“ is odd considering the amount of accessories but I am willing to pay it because it’s my favorite character, it’ll increase in value, etc. It also gives hope that these price range figures will also help subsidize lesser known characters who haven’t gotten figures, I’m looking at you Catina figures!

On the flip side there’s too many figures that since the release of line and The Force Awakens that have sat on the shelf. Hell, I can still find Reys, Fins and Poes RIGHT NOW at local retail stores in central Florida. Hasbro needs to find a better balance of character releases and box shipment ratios to even justify the price sometimes in standard figures.

I think that the market will allow Hasbro to continue to charge these prices but there’s going to be a breaking point sooner I think than later.

Reaction score
Exactly. I’d have no probably shelling out that kind of money for figures I didn’t have to fix. I’ve taken crap from people before for buying imports but I’d rather shell out the extra money for a well done figure that I can just enjoy. Don’t get me wrong, I love customizing. I just don’t love spending $30 on a figure and then having to repaint and fix it with 3rd party items.
Um, technically aren't Hasbro figures Imports too though? What am I missing here! lol

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the new reality.

Prices are going up, and being in the US you are still relatively sheltered from the crazy price increases on action figures, for now.

Up here (Canada) Toys R Us just did another price increase last week. That is the third this year. So now newer BS, ML, and Classified figures, among others, are up to $37(Cdn) before tax. That works out to just shy of $29(US) for a regular 6" figure. Up from $30(Cdn) for most of them at the start of the year.

Deluxes are at, minimum, $47. However that is going up above $50 in newer cases.

So yeah you guys in the states are seeing price creep, which naturally affects buying habits. However my example is just to point out that it can, and will, only get worse from here. So as others have said, unless you have the means, be choosy, and don't be afraid to pass on something if you don't feel the price is warranted.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards!

As far as "deluxe" figures are pricing, there's a few ways of looking at it. The Mandalorian had 2 regular releases at regular prices (the first appearance of him and the beskar suit). Since then, they've only released deluxe/deluxe priced versions of him. Some are just repaints at around $5 more (credit collection), and some have cost about $15 more, but included Grogu and a few extra accessories.

The recent Book of Boba Fett preorder that went up is being called deluxe, but doesn't include any accessories that would be considered extra by anyone here. They just stuck it in the wide "deluxe" box.

They've also been using exclusive packaging to get a few extra dollars out of people. Over the summer, target had exclusive clone wars retro packed figures (obi wan, Anakin, clone pilot Hawk, and Arc trooper Echo). They didn't come with extra accessories but cost $25-27. And were store exclusive. Last year, best buy had Retro Phantom Menace packaged figures and in that case, the Qui Gon Jinn figure that was repacked didn't include the extra hand the regular figure originally came with, but was still upcharged.

Taller characters, like Wrecker, Jar jar binks, and Zeb have all also been 'deluxe figures'. Personally I think only they could have gotten away with it for Zeb since he has unique leg articulation that they probably won't be able to use again for too many other characters, but Jar Jar shouldn't jave been and I don't think Wrecker should have either.

Price increases are bound to happen, that's going to happen with anything if you keep buying it long enough. That's fine. But when you compare a figure like fennic shand with accessories (who is regular priced) to the 'deluxe' boba fett, it's easy to say "what makes him deluxe?". Then if you compare those to something like a Marvel legends figure (also made by hasbro and generally the same price point) and see the regular priced figures including extra heads, hands, weapons/blast effects and a build-a-figure piece, it really makes the deluxe pricing on seem unnecessary.

It seems like a lot of users here are generally in agreement that the new Boba Fett being priced as high as he is seems excessive. And they essentially did the same thing in the 3.75" scale too.

Reaction score
My focus has always been on droids and troopers so that I’m not all over the map picking things up. Occasional pick up other things like a cool Thrawn or Ahsoka. For the last couple years it hasn’t been nearly as much fun due to scarcity of product and just the rising cost figures. It’s become ridiculous. I never used to think about grabbing a figure that caught my eye for $5, $6, or $7 but now at $12-$20, or more… It’s just not as practical or as fun anymore

Reaction score
I never visit the 6” section of the forum (like at all), but I accidentally found this thread a while back and have thought about it a few times since. Even just in the last month prices for all products in all retail categories have climbed, and I think people are worried because they’re just not used to sticker shock across the board. Prices for everything always have inflated over time, but maybe not this much this fast for everything one buys; I feel like companies are furiously trying to stay viable and are making last-ditch efforts to meet ever-increasing profit goals. As such, the complaining is getting worse.

Reaction score
I never visit the 6” section of the forum (like at all), but I accidentally found this thread a while back and have thought about it a few times since. Even just in the last month prices for all products in all retail categories have climbed, and I think people are worried because they’re just not used to sticker shock across the board. Prices for everything always have inflated over time, but maybe not this much this fast for everything one buys; I feel like companies are furiously trying to stay viable and are making last-ditch efforts to meet ever-increasing profit goals. As such, the complaining is getting worse.

Well, what they better start doing is making items people want. Get in touch with your customers Hasbro. Because at $24.99+tax at Target just for basic black series figures, I can guarantee you items will soon start to sit at all levels (basic, exclusive deluxe, etc.) as they are starting to now at Target's in my area. Overpriced exclusive black series carbonized figures anyone? Yeah, No thanks Hasbro.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, what they better do is make items people want. Because at $24.99+tax at Target just for basic black series figures, I can guarantee you items will start to sit at all levels as they are starting to now at every Target in my area. Overpriced exclusive black series carbonized figures anyone? Yeah, No thanks Hasbro.
Exactly. I see this being a big problem for the Star Wars side of hasbro because they already had trouble getting it straight what people are actually wanting, regardless if it's regular or deluxe.

And even though it means nothing to me personally, they're gonna take a bit of a hit when the packaging changes. I think whatever the first boxed deluxe figure is (darktrooper or something else), people are gonna open that big box and see how much air is in it and be pissed. At least with the deluxe boba and Cobb vanth, they laid out the accessories in a way that made it seem like you were getting a "lot".

Reaction score
Um, technically aren't Hasbro figures Imports too though? What am I missing here! lol
Technically yes but I mean figures made in Japan that can’t be distributed in the US due to Hasbro’s deal with Disney, ie. Figuarts and Mafex

Reaction score
to be completely honest, i kinda have no problem paying higher prices from retail.

what really kills me though are the people who take re-selling seriously and actively hoard product and list it for 1.5x/2x MORE than retail....PLUS a shipping charge on top of that.

why is it that when i open mercari or something to look for a figure i cant find locally, the only options are listings ranging from $40-$60.
luckily for me im not a huge colleector of clones and troopers, but i would think that a collector would be looking to have multiples of these troops and how fair is it that you suddenly have to pay double the price you normally would for a figure just because someone decided to make a hobby of gouging people.

ive been fighting bots on the target app for 5 days now over an exclusive figure. they add new pre-orders in batches and i get the notification and click it instantly. cant even add the item to my cart before getting the message that its sold out already. and then guess what; i go to mercari and ebay and see all of these figures for sale for $60 each.

Reaction score
to be completely honest, i kinda have no problem paying higher prices from retail.

what really kills me though are the people who take re-selling seriously and actively hoard product and list it for 1.5x/2x MORE than retail....PLUS a shipping charge on top of that.

why is it that when i open mercari or something to look for a figure i cant find locally, the only options are listings ranging from $40-$60.
luckily for me im not a huge colleector of clones and troopers, but i would think that a collector would be looking to have multiples of these troops and how fair is it that you suddenly have to pay double the price you normally would for a figure just because someone decided to make a hobby of gouging people.
Not to defend scalpers but selling it for less then 1.5x+ just doesn't seem worth it. Figure cost, tax, selling fees, packing material all add up. People then count the gas they spent and then 'their time' . This is assuming buyer pays shipping. Selling it less then 1.5x, probably results in only a couple bucks profit. Seems a lot of work for not much reward.

Reaction score
Not to defend scalpers but selling it for less then 1.5x+ just doesn't seem worth it. Figure cost, tax, selling fees, packing material all add up. People then count the gas they spent and then 'their time' . This is assuming buyer pays shipping. Selling it less then 1.5x, probably results in only a couple bucks profit. Seems a lot of work for not much reward.
Isn't that all the more reason to not do it then?

Reaction score

I've seen quite a few items go for under RRP on eBay. Once you add in expenses and the occasional scammer some sellers are either making a loss on some items or getting them off the back of a lorry.