Obi-Wan Kenobi & Darth Vader Concept Series 2-Pack

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
Obi-Wan Kenobi & Darth Vader (Concept Art Edition).

Shop-Disney-Icon-20px.png
Exclusive

On shelf Spring 2023. MSRP is $55.99. Available for pre-order Wednesday, June 1st at 1pm ET.

Press Release

Fans and collectors can imagine scenes from the STAR WARS galaxy with these premium STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES 6-INCH OBI-WAN KENOBI & DARTH VADER (RALPH MCQUARRIE Edition) figures. George Lucas reached out to Ralph McQuarrie to help visualize the galaxy he only saw in his head. The artwork this duo created not only helped convince studios to fund STAR WARS, but McQuarrie’s style crafted the visual design of the entire galaxy to come. Fans and collectors can display these fully articulated figures featuring poseable head, arms, and legs, as well as premium deco, in their collection. These STAR WARS: THE BLACK SERIES figures come with 2 entertainment-inspired accessories.

Press Images

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Boxed-1-Resized.jpg
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Boxed-2-Resized.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Boxed-3-Resized.jpg
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-1-Resized.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-2-Resized.jpg
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-3-Resized.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-4-Resized.jpg
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-5-Resized.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-6-Resized.jpg
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-7-Resized.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-8-Resized.jpg
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-9-Resized.jpg

HD Images

Spoiler:  
Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Boxed-1.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Boxed-2.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Boxed-3.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-1.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-3.jpg

Black-Series-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Darth-Vader-Concept-Art-Edition-Loose-6.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think they should have went with the set up instead:

starwars-ralphmcquarriebook1p039claserduel.jpg
Agreed. Pairing up the concepts of Obi Wan with those of Vader seems like a misstep, since from what I recall of the early "The Star Wars" drafts Kenobi and Vader had yet to have their rivalry. It's probably just because of the part reuse opprotunity and the timing with the Kenobi series that we're getting a two-pack like this.

Also just looking at the prototypes these seem like a far cry from the detail put into the TAC concept figures. Everything looks like repaints save the heads which just looks so off-model, Vader doesn't even get a blaster and holster. I'd probably be better off buying Gentle Giant's jumbo Kenner concept Vader if I want a fix for this era again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed. Pairing up the concepts of Obi Wan with those of Vader seems like a misstep, since from what I recall of the early "The Star Wars" drafts Kenobi and Vader had yet to have their rivalry. It's probably just because of the part reuse opprotunity and the timing with the Kenobi series that we're getting a two-pack like this.

I am quite confident that's the very reason why :)

Reaction score
Didn’t care for this at first but it’s growing on me. Vader (for obvious reasons) makes me think of Rebels and I could picture using the Ben as a generic Jedi or background person in photography.

Reaction score
Oh man, if they make a Ralph McQuarrie Boba Fett...

ralph-mcquarrie-boba-fett_star-wars_gallery_5c4dfc9e53250.jpg
Didn’t care for this at first but it’s growing on me. Vader (for obvious reasons) makes me think of Rebels and I could picture using the Ben as a generic Jedi or background person in photography.
I'd get the set for that reason, but I don't really need an off-coloured Vader with a different helmet.

Reaction score
Cool idea. Had Vader been a full-out McQuarrie I would have considered getting this. That said, I wouldn't mind at all if this were the become the first in a continuing series of concept designs.

Reaction score
Pretty sure the “Luke” in that Macquarie concept painting is actually Deak Starkiller.

At first I was excited about this announcement. Obi-wan looks decent, but seeing that the Vader is just a “repaint” (ie no paint) of the ESB figure with a new head is incredibly disappointing. If they actually made an all new figure with a suit accurate to the concept artwork, I’d be all over it.

Reaction score
Pretty sure the “Luke” in that Macquarie concept painting is actually Deak Starkiller.

At first I was excited about this announcement. Obi-wan looks decent, but seeing that the Vader is just a “repaint” (ie no paint) of the ESB figure with a new head is incredibly disappointing. If they actually made an all new figure with a suit accurate to the concept artwork, I’d be all over it.
I think they did the same thing for TVC concept vader. Anyway, the body isn't too far off from. the concept art really... I think it works!

Reaction score
Would love a Mcquarrie Stormtrooper at some point

Considering that they turn up in Bad Batch as a transition between Clones and OT Stormtroopers, I think we will. But they won't be concept, they'll probably be "TK" Troopers.

Reaction score
What is so annoying about this "new" release is that the new "concept" Darth Vader figure - apart from the brand new head sculpt, is nothing but a kit-bash of the original modern Black Series Darth Vader with a newly sculpted head and blue tinge paint hi-light applications!

The Ralph McQuarrie Vader never had any of the modern Vader details, if you want a true concept Darth Vader you start from the ground up with a sculpt and not use an existing figure with a "concept Darth Vader" head.

This is pure laziness with Hasbro. They are renowned (notorious as of late) for kit-bashing figures to make new ones, but this is utterly ridiculous.

I already have the beautiful Kotobukiya Darth Vader & Deak Starkiller concept figures, and they are utterly stunning and identical to the Ralph McQuarrie concept art. These are a true and perfect representation of the concept art, whereas what Hasbro is doing is insulting to collectors by releasing a ridiculous kit-bashed interpretation of the brilliant Ralph McQuarrie's design.

Maybe Hasbro did this as a cost-cutting exercise or maybe Hasbro did a kit-bash because they are lazy, whatever their excuse for doing this it is still shameful and utterly disrespectful to the memory of the late great Ralph McQuarrie's wonderful art.

Correct me if I am wrong.

ED8FDF84-9064-4AFF-B16C-CF5AAB2E987A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not an expert when it comes to these concept-based figures, but as far as I can see the only "concept" parts on Vader are the head and the coloration.

Reaction score
Oh man, if they make a Ralph McQuarrie Boba Fett...
While I no longer collect TBS I'd definitely buy that figure if made!

While it's a shame they didn't sculpt a Ralph McQuarrie accurate costume, I love the helmet and blue paintjob on Vader's costume. Hasbro got me with their cost-cutting.
Kind of a shame really because it wouldn't have been that costly/difficult to swap out the torso and right thigh considering how these figures are constructed now. And at least it would have been closer to the McQ look/design. I certainly like the hue they gave this version compared to the TAC version and the helmet sculpt looks sharper as well.

That said I do understand they have a budget and whole new sculpt wouldn't have been feasible here as Exclusives are notoriously always reuse in some way.
I'm definitely tempted due to the McQuarrie Concept but $65 is too steep for my blood, and I doubt I'd get an order in before it sells out anyways. lol

Reaction score
That does look really cool. Unfortunately It’s so close to Prototype Fett we got and Hasbro would just reuse that old mold again.
The McQuarrie design is almost completely different (no kneepads, no shoulder plates, tall boots worn over the suit instead of short boots worn under the suit, smaller, more streamlined gauntlets, carapace body armour instead of plates on a padded vest, etc). The only real similarity is in the helmets.

Reaction score
Man, I am usually a sucker for McQuarrie stuff, but these just aren't doing it for me. I have the whole TAC line, even the exclusives, and I love them. Had these been more than repaints with new heads, I would have been all over this set.

My issue with Black Series is if you’re a long time 3.75” collector, now some of the more unique one-off lines like these concepts and the dark horse comics are being redone so you’re buying repeats, just in another scale.

I decided a while ago to stick to 3.75” and only get new black series that aren’t offered in TVC or prior 3.75”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GNT

Reaction score
Darth Vader could’ve been better but overall a killer pack imo. I kind of hope they do some more in the 6” scale.

Reaction score
The McQuarrie design is almost completely different (no kneepads, no shoulder plates, tall boots worn over the suit instead of short boots worn under the suit, smaller, more streamlined gauntlets, carapace body armour instead of plates on a padded vest, etc). The only real similarity is in the helmets.
Yep I meant it’s close enough for Hasbro in same way their Concept Vader is “close enough” to the real McQuarrie art. We know it deserves an all new mold.

Reaction score
Yep I meant it’s close enough for Hasbro in same way their Concept Vader is “close enough” to the real McQuarrie art. We know it deserves an all new mold.
I can't see even Hasbro being that lazy. 🤔

Reaction score
Did they mention in the Hasbro panel if that was just a prototype, and the final product will be more accurate...and not just solid blue? LOL

Reaction score
I wish it were so but all I can do is cry in Krssantan, and laugh in Republic Commando.
To be fair, the problem with the Black Series Delta Squad and Wookiee Edgelord figures is mostly that they're just too skinny/undersized, as opposed to virtually every design element being completely inaccurate to the character ostensibly being depicted. 😉