New Kickstarter for Kenner Star Wars Photography Volume 3 1983-1985 by Kim Simmons

Reaction score
Just got my email. I’m so glad it will be made!

I am confused about the poster though. The campaign says it will be made of the book gets funded, but Kim’s email says that the stretch goal
for the poster could still be reached.Maybe Kim forgot that he lowered the stretch goal to 85,000...
It has been lowered to the fund goal for the poster

however it looks like there still may be a chance to get higher numbers seeing how it’s past 88 now

maybe by sending to non Star Wars groups gave us that little push:cool::p

Reaction score
I did my part, and went bigger than I had planned due to FOMO.

Reaction score
He is doing his best to get the coin to us as well.

He certainly is a true fan of the collectors and he's proven it twice now. Remember the last book didn't hit the stretch goal numbers and he did the coin anyway.

That says all I need to know about Kim Simmons the person.

Thank you Kim

Reaction score

He certainly is a true fan of the collectors and he's proven it twice now. Remember the last book didn't hit the stretch goal numbers and he did the coin anyway.

Thank you Kim
The coin stretch goal was for reaching $100K and that book ended up getting over $120K.

Reaction score
The coin stretch goal was for reaching $100K and that book ended up getting over $120K.

I think you’re both half right. When it was clear we couldn’t hit the goal for two coins he lowered it to an achievable amount and made it one coin.

Reaction score
Either way, Kim’s a great guy and it’s very clear he trying to make things work

Reaction score
Either way, Kim’s a great guy and it’s very clear he trying to make things work

Yes he is. I am in the end not buying this book. Maybe I will regret it but it's 3.75", not Micro, and I need to stick to my focus. However I did record a recent brief interview with him and put it around the web with links to the KS so I still feel like I helped.

Reaction score
Very happy this hit the funding goal, and it appears it's blowing past the original goal of $85,000. It's at $96,800 right now. The funding support the past few days has been phenomenal. Happy for Kim and for those like myself who can now complete the trilogy of books.

Reaction score
If you check out his latest update, you will see there may be 4th book. POTF including his last shoots of the newer lines.

He did also say, NO STRETCH GOALS OR EXTRAS. Just a book , but its not certain yet

Reaction score
So, the book has been funded. With a little over a day left, it's currently at $96,826. Did I back it? Yes. Because I wanted to have all three. Am I one of the biggest opponents of the cost? Also YES. As I said in previous posts, I work in printing. I'll just leave this here......

InkedScan_LI2.jpg

Now, this is for an average run. 500-600 books. The more you order, the lower the cost. He SHOULD order a minimum of 500. Will he? Who knows. He claims the Kickstater is the only way to get the books. However, he does still have some of the previous volumes that he is using an incentive for people who missed them the first time, but keep in mind Those books are already PAID FOR.

The 5% Kickstarter fee of $96,900 = $4845
The Processing fees for collecting payments of 272 backers = $4655

Let's say $2000 for the posters. (Which is crazy high, but let's go with it)

$35,000
$4845
$4655
$2000 = $46,500 TOTAL (Before shipping of books)

For Volume 2, he campaigned for $80,000. Got over $120,000 and said they "Broke even". Still trying to figure that one out.

Reaction score

Thank you Kim

His volume 2 stretch goal for the coin was 100K. He got $120K, so that goal had been exceeded.

Reaction score
If you check out his latest update, you will see there may be 4th book. POTF including his last shoots of the newer lines.

He did also say, NO STRETCH GOALS OR EXTRAS. Just a book , but its not certain yet

That would suck. He made it sound like POTF would be included in this book. Love how things change once the book actually gets funded. I personally could care less about the modern stuff that he did...

Reaction score
That would suck. He made it sound like POTF would be included in this book. Love how things change once the book actually gets funded. I personally could care less about the modern stuff that he did...

I believe POTF 1984-85 will be included. He was talking about POTF2 and Episode 1 for a possible future book.

Reaction score
According to his newest last push update on Facebook, he shows the volume 3 with Ewoks potf droids as well as Jedi

looks like the forth book is the new stuff

Reaction score
So, the book has been funded. With a little over a day left, it's currently at $96,826. Did I back it? Yes. Because I wanted to have all three. Am I one of the biggest opponents of the cost? Also YES. As I said in previous posts, I work in printing. I'll just leave this here......

View attachment 382447

Now, this is for an average run. 500-600 books. The more you order, the lower the cost. He SHOULD order a minimum of 500. Will he? Who knows. He claims the Kickstater is the only way to get the books. However, he does still have some of the previous volumes that he is using an incentive for people who missed them the first time, but keep in mind Those books are already PAID FOR.

The 5% Kickstarter fee of $96,900 = $4845
The Processing fees for collecting payments of 272 backers = $4655

Let's say $2000 for the posters. (Which is crazy high, but let's go with it)

$35,000
$4845
$4655
$2000 = $46,500 TOTAL (Before shipping of books)

For Volume 2, he campaigned for $80,000. Got over $120,000 and said they "Broke even". Still trying to figure that one out.
Thanks for an inside look into wholesale book manufacturing, very informative info!

I agree it's pricy, because it's the most expensive book I've backed on kickstarter, and I almost didn't because of the price. However, I really appreciate the opportunity to purchase these books with all the included Kenner Star Wars photos & extras thanks to Mr. Simmons. Hopefully, he's able to include the coin even if it doesn't reach the stretch goal amount.

Question regarding the quote: Does it matter that almost every page in the kickstarter book is full of ink for the HD photos vs. the mostly text quote?

Reaction score
I can't make my decision based on what it cost to make.

Video games have less than a few dollars in Materials and fabrication, yet we have no problem dropping 50 plus. (Well, I refuse to buy new, I'll buy it used for far less) as well as so many other products we buy without question.

Aren't there a few vintage collectors books selling for over 500. ???? Why aren't we complaining about those.

Reaction score
Because some people have nothing better to do then complain about stuff on the Internet. ;)

In all fairness, it is sometimes hard to spend big bucks on a book when the money could be spend on another vintage collectible instead. Tough choices that we all have to make...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah but that’s the thing. I get effectively tons of mint boxes for a few hundred and they fit on my bookshelf!

Reaction score
Thanks for an inside look into wholesale book manufacturing, very informative info!

I agree it's pricy, because it's the most expensive book I've backed on kickstarter, and I almost didn't because of the price. However, I really appreciate the opportunity to purchase these books with all the included Kenner Star Wars photos & extras thanks to Mr. Simmons. Hopefully, he's able to include the coin even if it doesn't reach the stretch goal amount.

Question regarding the quote: Does it matter that almost every page in the kickstarter book is full of ink for the HD photos vs. the mostly text quote?

If you will notice, on the left side, under "Job Description" It says Hard Bound Book. Right under that, you will see a 4/4. In the printing world. that means each page will be full color. Conventional full color printing is done with four colors of ink. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. Depending on how those colors lay down on a sheet, and overlap, they create full color photos. The Gloss Text you see just refers to the type of paper it will be printed on. Gloss text is industry standard paper for a book like these.

Reaction score
I can't make my decision based on what it cost to make.

Video games have less than a few dollars in Materials and fabrication, yet we have no problem dropping 50 plus. (Well, I refuse to buy new, I'll buy it used for far less) as well as so many other products we buy without question.

Aren't there a few vintage collectors books selling for over 500. ???? Why aren't we complaining about those.

Because those books were all much less expensive when they were printed and sold. Now, they are out of print, no longer available and people want them. That's why they go for $500. Kellerman had all he could do to sell his books for retail when he had them printed and it took him a few years to sell out.

Because some people have nothing better to do then complain about stuff on the Internet. ;)

In all fairness, it is sometimes hard to spend big bucks on a book when the money could be spend on another vintage collectible instead. Tough choices that we all have to make...

You may consider it complaining, but I consider it a service to other collectors for them to see that the math on this project just doesn't add up. It's very hard to spend big bucks on a book that really isn't WORTH the big bucks price tag. Maybe there is some other factor that we're not seeing. But based on his own words, and the info I provided, he should have an excess of funds, yet claims they lost money on the last volume. $670 for all three books? Volume 1 and 2 have already been printed, and PAID FOR. He's getting $445 for two books that originally cost $80 and $125. He COULD have offered all three books for $500. That's the price he originally charged for each book, the $225 for volume 3 and a few extra bucks on top. $300 for a signed book? He's actually charging an extra $75 to write his own name. We're not talking an actor from any of the movies here. Hell, some of the actors charge less for their signatures at Celebration!

"Tough choices that we all have to make..." Yes. I put considerable thought into my decision. Could I have lived without volume 3? Of course. It would have bothered me to not have the book, but it probably would have prompted me to just sell off volumes 1&2. I made the choice to pay the price to complete the set. I suppose in a way, that make me a hypocrite. I feel we are all being overcharged, but I paid the price anyway. While I understand the purpose of funding goals to try to entice more backers, maybe he really should have just focused on the book. No posters, no coin, no patch. Reduce the overall asking price by however much all the extras cost. Honestly, what are we going to do with that stuff? I'm out of wall space to hang the posters. The patch for volume 2 isn't that great anyway. Mine are still in the envelope they came in. The coin is nice, but currently just sitting in my desk drawer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have no problem spending $100 plus dollars for a book. I have several of the Marvel Omnibus hardcovers and several other vintage Star Wars books that fans have published. I pre-ordered the Ralph McQuarrie book by Abrams that included all of his art, for $250 as soon as it was announced (Amazon did lower it to $200 a day or so before it was released). It is oversized, very nicely printed and worth every penny. It has a very nice full color foil-stamped cover, a lot of oversized full-page paintings and is 800 pages in two volumes. Granted, they probably printed far more than Kim could ever print.

And as DJ121 states, why all of the extras? Those cost a decent chunk of change as well. I just want(ed) the books. I'd gladly have paid $100 per book! That would've been worth it (for hardcover, that is).

Last edited:
Reaction score
The book was over 105 last night when I went to bed and then finished just over 103.

We will see where this goes. I hope everyone honors their commitment and pays what they pledged. Its still possible we can get the coin and Jabba poster

Reaction score
If anyone is selling their extras from volume 3, please let me know. I would like an additional set

Reaction score
I have no problem spending $100 plus dollars for a book. I have several of the Marvel Omnibus hardcovers and several other vinatge Star Wars books that fans have published. I pre-ordered the Ralph McQuarrie book by Abrams that included all of his art, for $250 as soon as it was announced (Amazon did lower it to $200 a day or so before it was released). It is oversized, very nicely printed and worth every penny. It has a very nice full color foil-stamped cover, a lot of oversized full-page paintings and is 800 pages in two volumes. Granted, they probably printed far more than Kim could ever print.

And as DJ121 states, why all of the extras? Those cost a decent chunk of change as well. I just want(ed) the books. I'd gladly have paid $100 per book! That would've been worth it (for hardcover, that is).
I didn't even realize this book existed, and just saw it's $169 on AMZN now! I think I'm falling down a dangerous SW book rabbit-hole.

Reaction score
I didn't even realize this book existed, and just saw it's $169 on AMZN now! I think I'm falling down a dangerous SW book rabbit-hole.

It was released 5 years ago. If you are a fan of his art it is absolutely amazing. I think I read somewhere it includes every known piece of art he created for Star Wars. It can be a very big hole if you don't watch yourself! The Making Of books by Rinzler, I believe, are also essential.

Reaction score
Appreciate you sharing this info @DJ121

The math clearly indicates the book is priced for profit. I believe the extras like the patch, coin, etc. are added as sweeteners to make us believe there's more bang for the buck, when the expense to produce those items is minimal. I can see people having a financial/moral issue for the cost of this book.

Having said all that, for me, the nostalgic/emotional desire to have this book overrides the mathematical logic of passing on it on principle. The first two books were extremely well done, and in my view, a third book, reflecting the most emotional era of Star Wars (for me), deserved my dollars and support.

Reaction score
Appreciate you sharing this info @DJ121

Having said all that, for me, the nostalgic/emotional desire to have this book overrides the mathematical logic of passing on it on principle. The first two books were extremely well done, and in my view, a third book, reflecting the most emotional era of Star Wars (for me), deserved my dollars and support.
Well, dont forget the biggest reason.. We need the complete set :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Yep, just watched it.

So I asked Kim the hypothetical question. If the coin wasn't a go, could we try another fund raiser and he said there probably wouldn't be enough interest.

Now that its a go, I'm wondering if we can show enough interest to try and get him to release a backer set for the first book.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, that's why I'm asking if there would be enough interest to petition Kim to start one.

Unfortunately I'm guessing there would not

Reaction score
It was released 5 years ago. If you are a fan of his art it is absolutely amazing. I think I read somewhere it includes every known piece of art he created for Star Wars. It can be a very big hole if you don't watch yourself! The Making Of books by Rinzler, I believe, are also essential.
I received my Ralph McQuarrie books by Abrams today! They are amazing! Thanks for mentioning it.