McQuarrie-style items? Also vintage-style figs?

Reaction score
So a couple questions. First, anyone have a decent list of statues/figures/etc in McQuarrie's style? I have the postcard set but any of the other collections of his actual art seem pretty incomplete or expensive haha.

Also, same question but for like, vintage-style stuff? Basically stuff like the POTF2 4-pack of han/chewie/luke/vader, the jumbo figs, maybe there was that fett rerelease in the 90s?, retro collection, etc. Even looking for more tenuous stuff, like that Black Series Boba Fett from a couple years ago, done in the color scheme of the vintage Kenner Fett.

Thanks for any info, i know they're a couple rando questions haha.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,
Speaking 3.75" figures from Hasbro in the McQuarrie style:

There was first a figure in the SAGA collection #03-34: McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper.

Then, there were figures spread within The 30th Anniversary Line: TAC - Archives
- 30-09: Concept Stormtrooper (repaint from SAGA collection)
- 30-15: Concept Boba Fett
- 30-21: Concept Chewbacca
- 30-28: Concept Darth Vader
- 30-37: Concept Starkiller Hero
- 30-42: Concept Snowtrooper
- 30-47: Concept Han Solo
- 30-60: Concept Rebel Trooper
- Celebration IV Exclusive Concept Luke Skywalker
- Celebration IV Exclusive Concept R2-D2 & C-3PO
- SDCC Exclusive Concept Obi-Wan Kenobi & Yoda
and in that line, Rebel General McQuarrie was also available as a nod to Ralph (#30-40).

Moreover, you can grab figures from The Legacy line:
- BD40: Concept IG-88
- BD48: Concept Snowtrooper (from Joe Johnston, not RMcQ)
The figures from TAC line were also available in Multipacks within the Legacy line.

As for the vintage-like items, you can look for:
- The Vintage Collection Convention 2010 Exclusives Zuckuss & 4-LOM, where the figures were painted similarly to Kenner's figures, and packed with the wrong names on the card to emulate Kenner's run where Zuckuss & 4-LOM were reversed. To be noted, Hasbro Pulse made a similar exclusive this year for the 6" line.
- The Vintage Collection 2010 Mail-away Exclusive Rocket firing Boba Fett.
Technically, the whole Vintage Collection may fit within your idea of vintage-like stuff, as it reuses the classic Kenner look for the cardback.

The retro Collection is described on its own page in the Archives. At this time, it has neither been updated with the second wave (ESB figs + Hoth playset), nor with the future Mandalorian wave.

Finally, but this is maybe a bit stretched, the Rebels subline for 3.75" figures include characters which were based on McQuarrie concept or vintage Kenner designs (the TV show used many of these designs to bridge the prequels and the OT). That includes IG-RM (based on IG-88 design), Garazeb Orrelios (based on Chewie) and the Imperial Troop Transport, which also saw a new release last year within the Vintage Collection (much more detailed, you can probably still grab one on sale at the usual retailers).

Additionally, you could look for the Action Fleet collection (from Galoob), where the box art of some playsets were based on McQuarrie paintings.

Reaction score
Rad, thanks for all that! I also saw some cool mcquarrie statues and what looks like a rad Vader helmet in his style but that stuff seems so out of my price range like, ever lol

Reaction score
The statues you are talking about are probably the Sideshow Collectibles ones and yes they can get somewhat pricey. They only did Vader/Stormtrooper/Boba Fett and that was a few years ago so they've all gone up in value.
Gentle Giant LTD. also did a line of McQuarrie Mini Busts. If you search eBay you will find a bunch. A few of them are rather expensive and hard to get but there are still some that aren't too pricey and if patient you can usually get them at a pretty good price.

Reaction score
Just saw that Jumbo Concept Vader fig and immediately preordered. Basically exactly the kind of thing I was asking about here lol

Reaction score
Hello,
Speaking 3.75" figures from Hasbro in the McQuarrie style:

There was first a figure in the SAGA collection #03-34: McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper.

Then, there were figures spread within The 30th Anniversary Line: TAC - Archives
- 30-09: Concept Stormtrooper (repaint from SAGA collection)
- 30-15: Concept Boba Fett
- 30-21: Concept Chewbacca
- 30-28: Concept Darth Vader
- 30-37: Concept Starkiller Hero
- 30-42: Concept Snowtrooper
- 30-47: Concept Han Solo
- 30-60: Concept Rebel Trooper
- Celebration IV Exclusive Concept Luke Skywalker
- Celebration IV Exclusive Concept R2-D2 & C-3PO
- SDCC Exclusive Concept Obi-Wan Kenobi & Yoda
and in that line, Rebel General McQuarrie was also available as a nod to Ralph (#30-40).

Moreover, you can grab figures from The Legacy line:
- BD40: Concept IG-88
- BD48: Concept Snowtrooper (from Joe Johnston, not RMcQ)
The figures from TAC line were also available in Multipacks within the Legacy line.

As for the vintage-like items, you can look for:
- The Vintage Collection Convention 2010 Exclusives Zuckuss & 4-LOM, where the figures were painted similarly to Kenner's figures, and packed with the wrong names on the card to emulate Kenner's run where Zuckuss & 4-LOM were reversed. To be noted, Hasbro Pulse made a similar exclusive this year for the 6" line.
- The Vintage Collection 2010 Mail-away Exclusive Rocket firing Boba Fett.
Technically, the whole Vintage Collection may fit within your idea of vintage-like stuff, as it reuses the classic Kenner look for the cardback.

The retro Collection is described on its own page in the Archives. At this time, it has neither been updated with the second wave (ESB figs + Hoth playset), nor with the future Mandalorian wave.

Finally, but this is maybe a bit stretched, the Rebels subline for 3.75" figures include characters which were based on McQuarrie concept or vintage Kenner designs (the TV show used many of these designs to bridge the prequels and the OT). That includes IG-RM (based on IG-88 design), Garazeb Orrelios (based on Chewie) and the Imperial Troop Transport, which also saw a new release last year within the Vintage Collection (much more detailed, you can probably still grab one on sale at the usual retailers).

Additionally, you could look for the Action Fleet collection (from Galoob), where the box art of some playsets were based on McQuarrie paintings.
Oh, pretty interesting one.

Reaction score
Kotobukiya had a McQuarrie Vader vs Luke 2 piece set from a long time ago, it was pretty cool.

Reaction score
Yeah that statue is so rad. That painting is in the running for my favorite piece of McQuarrie concept art

Reaction score
Probably the easiest thing to do if you're trying to track down the figures is to get the 2 Ralph McQuarrie Signature Series sets that were TRU exclusive in the US.

The Hot Wheels Starships line had a wave of McQuarrie concept ships that are still relatively new and can probably be tracked down fairly easily.

Hot Wheels also did a line of cars with McQuarrie art. Picture a van or box truck with McQuarrie art on each side. Not sure if that is something people are interested in, but it's out there.

Reaction score
The Hot Wheels Starships line had a wave of McQuarrie concept ships that are still relatively new and can probably be tracked down fairly easily.
oh snap yeah those look dece

yeah those concept figures i'm torn cause they're cool btu not as much of the retro look i like.

Reaction score
I thought I was done buying Funko Pops, but the Concept versions are fantastic. I saw a Vader in Target and could NOT leave it there. It's great.
1622837198656.png