Haslab should offer a Black Series Boba Fett Rancor

Reaction score
Firstly why anyone would purposely want it to fail is a mystery to me, now I can see why someone wouldn't back it as it's not everyone's cup of tea or the price or whatever. I don't see how its success or failure matters to 3.75" because there will be more HasLabs regardless of how many campaigns are done for TBS, it's not like if there wasn't one Hasbro would offer one every year for TVC.
If you haven't seen it, this might be hard to believe, but anytime a figure gets revealed in TBS that isn't in TVC, pretty much every post on Instagram will have at least 10 comments saying "this is more proof hasbro is sabatoging TVC!!" I'm not in any SW collecting groups on Facebook, so I don't know if it happens there, and no one here seems to legitimately think that way, but the are definitely people who do 100% believe that. It doesn't make sense, it's not supported by any facts at all, but people believe that.

Reaction score
The price and bonus tier gifts were laughably bad for the Rancor. If Hasbro had waited until after BoBF and launched with the same stats I still wouldn't buy it. It was at least $100 overpriced and the very first tier gift should have been the rancor keeper. Thays why it failed.

And if Hasbro knew a Rancor was coming in a show why did they release it beforehand? Possibly so they could retool the exclusive one and offer a non-exclusive BoBF version that was available everywhere for half the cost?

Seems to me Hasbro is getting really sneaky/greedy with the retooling/re-painting of 6 inch figures without the cost reflecting the cost-saving measures.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Mattel just announced the new”Hammond“ collection for Jurassic park which looks to replace the Amber collection. Translation…..mattel looks like it cancelled the 6” line in favor of a more detailed 3.75” line. Dinos are hard at a 1:12 scale. But at 1:18……man they can pump them out. I see the same with Star Wars. It’s really hard to make big things in this scale.

This.

Sometimes people forget that an item (regardless of the scale) doesn't only need to be paid for. It also needs to be displayed properly (yes, even if you keep it in the package) for the rest of your ownership (otherwise, why bother). That makes selection of proper potential HasLabs difficult: see the "next big item" thread. How large will the "thing" be, and how much real estate will it take up? Is the "thing" not just worth the money, but also the cost of storing/displaying it?

There are already many large toy vehicles in the SW franchise, and if you got them all, having them in dioramas is a killer. Imagine:
- TPM battle of Naboo: MTT, Fambaa, Federation tank(s), and lots of troops.
- AOTC battle of Geonosis: Republic Gunship, AT-TE, various CIS droid vehicles.
- ROTS battle of Kashyyyk: Turbo Tank, various CIS droid vehicles.
- ANH Yavin temple hangar: X-Wing(s), Y-Wing(s), small vehicles
- ESB Hoth battle: AT-AT(s), AT-ST(s), snowspeeder(s), Falcon, X-Wing...
- ROTJ Sarlacc battle: Khetanna
and that's just one diorama for each of the PT/OT movies. I don't even want to mention multiples of the same vehicle... or the numerous "smaller" dioramas you can already set up; the Slave 1 or the B-Wing are not "small" vehicles either...
(The ST, Solo, or RO never had overly large vehicles that come to mind, so I won't get into these, but The Mandalorian now came along with the Razor Crest, and who knows what BOBF will create...)

Now there is HasLab with the possibility of even more large vehicles or maybe playsets. And we have a long discussion about what is a "worthy" addition to the collection: what is so much desired that you can forget your space troubles and buy it anyway. And I guess we can take away from all the threads on this forum alone, that fans have very different opinions, and that it gets quite difficult for Hasbro to create a Must Have.

Skip forward to 6", and everything becomes larger again by half. Doesn't sound that much, but area is length squared, so display area becomes 2.25 times as large, and volume is length to the power of 3, so an item becomes larger (and heavier) by a factor of 3.375. A (hypothetical) 2x1 meter diorama will take up 3x1.5 meters. Even when keeping stuff in the box, it will take up more than 3 times the space, compared with a similar 3.75" item. When is too much of a good thing... just too much?

Large stuff has been around for a long time, and we know that a lifesized bust or a 12" Sideshow figure requires a different display concept than 3.75". I guess that the history of the 6" scale now has shown that people consider this a "large" scale as well, and set up their display differently from 3.75", in a more focused and limited way. If you look at the vehicles / large items: the TIE has failed, the Rancor wasn't funded. Yes, there were multiple reasons for those. But Luke's Landspeeder and Rey's Speeder were both deeply discounted as well. (No idea how Enfy's Nest's swoop did.) The speeder bikes, Tauntaun, and Wampa might go over as figure accessoires or large figures. Only 6" vehicle that apparently did well was the Snowspeeder. And AFAIR that's all the larger stuff in 6".

6" is a figure oriented line, as you can (theoretically) achieve better face likeness, better paint applications, better outfits with a few centimeters more. The few mini vehicles and background parts seem to support the characters, rather than contribute to a larger diorama. Moreover, the focus seems to be on main characters or those that interact directly with main characters - backgrounders are rare.

Hasbro may not market the line as such, but everything indicates that 6" is destined for the display of small hero groups that strike a pose, comic-cover-like, or small interactions in closeup (Obi-Wan vs. Dr. Evazan, e.g.). It is very unlikely that 6" will ever target the same kind of display as the 3.75" line (a whole cantina, a whole Hoth hangar...). So, the need for large items is limited.

I give it to Hasbro, they had a good chance with the Rancor; it's an OT item and it has a restricted scene to set up (which would have been complete even not adding the Rancor Keeper or Oola; but I understand why fans wanted them). In the end however, the 6" line is not the 3.75" line, and there were too many flaws piling up with the project, so the Rancor didn't make it.

Would a BOBF Rancor do better at that scale? I honestly doubt it. Fans didn't have 40 years to build up fond memories of the show and a desire to own a piece of their own - in short, Boba's Rancor is not (yet?) iconic enough. And with the sheer deluge of Disney+ SW series that is crashing on us, clamoring for toy representancy, its chance to become an icon is not that great, although a fully armored Boba going into battle on top of a Rancor has the needed appeal -- provided it ever happens. Taking into account the different attitude of 6", and there are many question marks.

Would a BOBF Rancor in 3.75" do well? Yes, I think so, if we get the iconic scenes in the rest of BOBF. The same fully armored Boba going into battle on top of a Rancor would be a lot cheaper, could be available at retail, and would work with the many figures we already have in that scale (now this obviously depends on how the story arc even plays out). Unfortunately, Hasbro has shown a certain unwillingness to do creatures in the last years. No Blurrg yet; no Fathier or Crait crystal fox; no Lothwolf/cat; just some tiny Krykna spiders as accessory (the larger spider comes from Disney). So, your guess is as good as mine.

Reaction score
I'm out of the loop. What was the recent Haslab project that failed? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Reaction score
This.

Sometimes people forget that an item (regardless of the scale) doesn't only need to be paid for. It also needs to be displayed properly (yes, even if you keep it in the package) for the rest of your ownership (otherwise, why bother). That makes selection of proper potential HasLabs difficult: see the "next big item" thread. How large will the "thing" be, and how much real estate will it take up? Is the "thing" not just worth the money, but also the cost of storing/displaying it?

There are already many large toy vehicles in the SW franchise, and if you got them all, having them in dioramas is a killer. Imagine:
- TPM battle of Naboo: MTT, Fambaa, Federation tank(s), and lots of troops.
- AOTC battle of Geonosis: Republic Gunship, AT-TE, various CIS droid vehicles.
- ROTS battle of Kashyyyk: Turbo Tank, various CIS droid vehicles.
- ANH Yavin temple hangar: X-Wing(s), Y-Wing(s), small vehicles
- ESB Hoth battle: AT-AT(s), AT-ST(s), snowspeeder(s), Falcon, X-Wing...
- ROTJ Sarlacc battle: Khetanna
and that's just one diorama for each of the PT/OT movies. I don't even want to mention multiples of the same vehicle... or the numerous "smaller" dioramas you can already set up; the Slave 1 or the B-Wing are not "small" vehicles either...
(The ST, Solo, or RO never had overly large vehicles that come to mind, so I won't get into these, but The Mandalorian now came along with the Razor Crest, and who knows what BOBF will create...)

Now there is HasLab with the possibility of even more large vehicles or maybe playsets. And we have a long discussion about what is a "worthy" addition to the collection: what is so much desired that you can forget your space troubles and buy it anyway. And I guess we can take away from all the threads on this forum alone, that fans have very different opinions, and that it gets quite difficult for Hasbro to create a Must Have.

Skip forward to 6", and everything becomes larger again by half. Doesn't sound that much, but area is length squared, so display area becomes 2.25 times as large, and volume is length to the power of 3, so an item becomes larger (and heavier) by a factor of 3.375. A (hypothetical) 2x1 meter diorama will take up 3x1.5 meters. Even when keeping stuff in the box, it will take up more than 3 times the space, compared with a similar 3.75" item. When is too much of a good thing... just too much?

Large stuff has been around for a long time, and we know that a lifesized bust or a 12" Sideshow figure requires a different display concept than 3.75". I guess that the history of the 6" scale now has shown that people consider this a "large" scale as well, and set up their display differently from 3.75", in a more focused and limited way. If you look at the vehicles / large items: the TIE has failed, the Rancor wasn't funded. Yes, there were multiple reasons for those. But Luke's Landspeeder and Rey's Speeder were both deeply discounted as well. (No idea how Enfy's Nest's swoop did.) The speeder bikes, Tauntaun, and Wampa might go over as figure accessoires or large figures. Only 6" vehicle that apparently did well was the Snowspeeder. And AFAIR that's all the larger stuff in 6".

6" is a figure oriented line, as you can (theoretically) achieve better face likeness, better paint applications, better outfits with a few centimeters more. The few mini vehicles and background parts seem to support the characters, rather than contribute to a larger diorama. Moreover, the focus seems to be on main characters or those that interact directly with main characters - backgrounders are rare.

Hasbro may not market the line as such, but everything indicates that 6" is destined for the display of small hero groups that strike a pose, comic-cover-like, or small interactions in closeup (Obi-Wan vs. Dr. Evazan, e.g.). It is very unlikely that 6" will ever target the same kind of display as the 3.75" line (a whole cantina, a whole Hoth hangar...). So, the need for large items is limited.

I give it to Hasbro, they had a good chance with the Rancor; it's an OT item and it has a restricted scene to set up (which would have been complete even not adding the Rancor Keeper or Oola; but I understand why fans wanted them). In the end however, the 6" line is not the 3.75" line, and there were too many flaws piling up with the project, so the Rancor didn't make it.

Would a BOBF Rancor do better at that scale? I honestly doubt it. Fans didn't have 40 years to build up fond memories of the show and a desire to own a piece of their own - in short, Boba's Rancor is not (yet?) iconic enough. And with the sheer deluge of Disney+ SW series that is crashing on us, clamoring for toy representancy, its chance to become an icon is not that great, although a fully armored Boba going into battle on top of a Rancor has the needed appeal -- provided it ever happens. Taking into account the different attitude of 6", and there are many question marks.

Would a BOBF Rancor in 3.75" do well? Yes, I think so, if we get the iconic scenes in the rest of BOBF. The same fully armored Boba going into battle on top of a Rancor would be a lot cheaper, could be available at retail, and would work with the many figures we already have in that scale (now this obviously depends on how the story arc even plays out). Unfortunately, Hasbro has shown a certain unwillingness to do creatures in the last years. No Blurrg yet; no Fathier or Crait crystal fox; no Lothwolf/cat; just some tiny Krykna spiders as accessory (the larger spider comes from Disney). So, your guess is as good as mine.
Man we should have just locked the thread after this post! I agree with everything here. You bring up good point after good point over and over again.

Reaction score
There have been (justified) complaints that Haslab has shifted from the "dream projects" goal it started with to "crowdfunding big things that retail might now want to deal with anymore"...especially with the TVC Razor Crest. But it does seem like the TBS Rancor really was a dream project for Eric. The problem was it turned out that not enough people wanted to join in on his dream for the price they were offering it.
Well first and foremost any "Dream Project" should probably be from Fans/Collectors input, not some passion project for a Company man. I mean what if I worked for Hasbro and decided to create my own Dream Item without taking input from the community who's actually going to buy it? It would mean that it would most likely fail too because only about a thousand people likely share my interest in certain niche items deserving enough to get made via crowd fund, or at all for that matter.

Granted any one of these HasLabs are a passion project for some of them just like the Barge was for both collector sand designers for 40 years, and I know the Barge was that one item they've always wanted to do but was simply not viable at retail. I don't see the RC or the Rancor as such, for starters it's not quite as big or expensive and the RC actually had current media support that would have help drive sales to a broader audience than just hard core collectors.

Yet it does bring up a very good point about what HasLabs should be, and likely should be few and far between rather than every other year per scale. Because they've run out of barge type items IMO, which either leaves large dios such as an Ewok Village, Cantina or just basic ships in 3.75" scale. As for 6" it seems to be a little more difficult to come up with items due to larger scale, as certain ships would be very space unfriendly.

Reaction score
Well first and foremost any "Dream Project" should probably be from Fans/Collectors input, not some passion project for a Company man. I mean what if I worked for Hasbro and decided to create my own Dream Item without taking input from the community who's actually going to buy it? It would mean that it would most likely fail too because only about a thousand people likely share my interest in certain niche items deserving enough to get made via crowd fund, or at all for that matter.
I don't know, he comes off as a pretty cool guy. The GI Joe and Marvel habro panels always have people that are really passionate about the stuff. I think Eric and the red-haired lady (Emily?)are the only ones on the SW teams that come across as big fans of what they're doing. If it was funded, that probably would have opened up the possibilities for other ambitious things in 6 inch, so it's understandable for them to be passionate about it.

Reaction score
I don't know, he comes off as a pretty cool guy. The GI Joe and Marvel habro panels always have people that are really passionate about the stuff. I think Eric and the red-haired lady (Emily?)are the only ones on the SW teams that come across as big fans of what they're doing. If it was funded, that probably would have opened up the possibilities for other ambitious things in 6 inch, so it's understandable for them to be passionate about it.

Eric and the red haired woman do seem like the most genuine and passionate about SW of the team.
And I also felt kind of sorry for Eric regarding the Rancor. I do hope he got to keep the prototype :)

Reaction score
I'm just saying that in the case of the barge there was some actual data to go off of, not that they shouldn't be passionate abut something. Perhaps they should have done a little more reconnaissance into whether or not a 6" Rancor was wanted by fans first? I genuinely feel for anyone who's passion project gets rejected, just imagine how some of us 3.75'ers would have felt if the Barge didn't actually fund? I'm sure that's the feeling he had as well as anyone who really wanted this.

But in a way I guess that's what HasLab really is all about, picking an item and taking a chance enough people want it. Personally I feel their unlock goals were set too high as well as the price, and was a simple as Hasbro being too greedy this time out. Shave $50-75 off and a lower the minimum goal would have likely gone over better, not to mention a lower requirement for the 1st tier unlock and it most likely would have funded early on and met the first unlock. Still, like was mentioned upthread there's still the space issue that many of us face regard less of how much we want an item. So perceived value is going to play into this decision much more than on a single action figure purchase that can be placed anywhere.

Reaction score
Eric and the red haired woman do seem like the most genuine and passionate about SW of the team.
And I also felt kind of sorry for Eric regarding the Rancor. I do hope he got to keep the prototype :)
I definitely got the impression it was a passion project for Eric, so it would be cool if they let him have it. A 6" Rancor was not something I needed in my life, but a 6" At-ST or Sand Skiff would be right up my street.

Reaction score
I definitely got the impression it was a passion project for Eric, so it would be cool if they let him have it. A 6" Rancor was not something I needed in my life, but a 6" At-ST or Sand Skiff would be right up my street.

If we disregard for a moment, the price, the tiers and Haslab in itself, I would love to have a Rancor for 6 inch.
However ...

Reaction score
I would really love to have a Rancor in my collection. Was fully ready for it to be a centerpiece. Price and terrible unlocks aside, I legitimately was fully on board with the Rancor....
I felt robbed when the revealed the Rancor in TBOBF. Because I knew, if funding had ended after that episode, it would have easily been enough to give the last push of funding. If they went further and gave it an alternate head for Boba's Rancor and had Trejo as a tier unlock I have no doubt it would have met every tier.
But hasbro is just too short-sighted to do anything right.

Reaction score
I'll take any poseable Rancor regardless of scale.

Just waiting for the inevitable bada$$ scene where Boba rides his new pet into town to chow down on some Pyke's before being p!ssed at Hasbro once again for ballsing up the original project

Reaction score
I'll take any poseable Rancor regardless of scale.

Just waiting for the inevitable bada$$ scene where Boba rides his new pet into town to chow down on some Pyke's before being p!ssed at Hasbro once again for ballsing up the original project
Repaint with accessory nose ring and blinders..?

Reaction score
I'm just saying that in the case of the barge there was some actual data to go off of, not that they shouldn't be passionate abut something. Perhaps they should have done a little more reconnaissance into whether or not a 6" Rancor was wanted by fans first? I genuinely feel for anyone who's passion project gets rejected, just imagine how some of us 3.75'ers would have felt if the Barge didn't actually fund? I'm sure that's the feeling he had as well as anyone who really wanted this.

But in a way I guess that's what HasLab really is all about, picking an item and taking a chance enough people want it. Personally I feel their unlock goals were set too high as well as the price, and was a simple as Hasbro being too greedy this time out. Shave $50-75 off and a lower the minimum goal would have likely gone over better, not to mention a lower requirement for the 1st tier unlock and it most likely would have funded early on and met the first unlock. Still, like was mentioned upthread there's still the space issue that many of us face regard less of how much we want an item. So perceived value is going to play into this decision much more than on a single action figure purchase that can be placed anywhere.
I agree with your central point that the dreams of the fans/customers should be taken into consideration; I would guess the response to that from Hasbro would be the chatter and excitement everyone had when a 6" scale Rancor was included in the diorama display at Celebration. (I think it was Celebration...maybe it was ComicCon.)

But your second paragraph here and other comments in here and the main Rancor Haslab thread get to the heart of it: whatever excitement there was on the fans' side for the project was blunted by the cost, which in turn put more pressure on stretch goals that fell woefully short. Add in justifiable complaints about design choices that were made, and here we are with the perceived value issue leading to a failed Star Wars project.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments, it helps to have some perspective. It’s clear the Rancor wasn’t considered a value for the price and the space/display issue was a practicality concern. This was all known but a lot of us were willing to take the plunge to see what would happen. There just wasn’t enough backers at the end. The minority gloating were taking credit for the taglines that became synonymous with the Haslab. Unsure how true that was and how much of an effect it had but that’s irrelevant after the fact. Sure it’s difficult to be reminded that 6” won’t have another Haslab while TVC had two funded and likely a third.

But that’s okay! TVC is more appropriate for large vehicles and play sets. I just wish everyone could enjoy what is offered and not feel like resources from one diverts resources of the other. Part of the frustration from that night was just the realizations discussed in this thread regarding scale, price and space. On one hand it felt unfair because of the minimum backers required being so much higher than the TVC projects but that makes sense considering 6” scale projects would be more costly to produce. I think it was also difficult because of the ever increasing exclusives, reuse and repaints in 6”.

It’s hard to attribute any correlations and correlation is not causation but we just have to pay attention to trends in the future. If anything this whole situation has made me appreciate 3.75”. After all I collect Lego sets so I understand the appeal of smaller scale allowing for large vehicles. I’m also dabbling into JoyToy Warhammer 40k to see how it compares to 6” McFarlane. It’s possible I may enjoy this line for army building. I may even try to get some TVC figs just to try them out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem wasn’t scale, it was just the fact that it was the wrong Black Series choice, it just wasn’t as appealing as a vehicle or play set would have been.

I still dream of seeing a HasLab 6 inch AT-ST Walker one day.

I know it shouldn’t be about the so called scale war, but there was an awful lot of gloating 3.75 inch collectors, especially on the instagram circles that I’m in.
I saw way more gloating about Rancor failure from the black series collectors. Don't try revise history. Most vintage collectors didn't care.

Reaction score
Yeah, I say no after the bad taste everyone got with the Haslab one.
Interesting, I wonder if the Rancor had actually managed to fund what would it have really meant for TBS going forward? After all it's not like there's a lot of options for that scale aside from a Rancor because there's only one large creature to do unless they planned doing a Sarlacc too. Large Vehicles would be too cost preventative due to scale, and Fighters shouldn't need HasLab to get made. So it's not like they could have gone on to enjoy several projects afterword. IMO

Not unless they totally restructure what HasLab means.

Reaction score
A X wing would make sense. I personally don't collect this scale but I would be very tempted by the X wing if offered. I personally can't wait to see Boba riding that Rancor. We might have to wait till season two since both the episodes and season are so short.

Reaction score
d8a.gif

Reaction score
I saw way more gloating about Rancor failure from the black series collectors. Don't try revise history. Most vintage collectors didn't care.
So we just ignore all the posters who never frequented Black Series sub forum, blamed collectors and expressed enthusiasm that Haslab opportunities would be dead for 6”? Cool.