Do you trust AFA

Reaction score
Have some carded figures. Want to send some in for grading but wife is skeptical about sending, saying “what if they are dishonest about what we sent”? Have y’all ever heard of any bad juju with afa?

Reaction score
It is a little complicated, there website is antiquated. You have to fill out there paperwork on the website and print it out and send it with the items. The hardest things is deciding which tier to choose and the value of the items.

Reaction score
Your right on both accounts. When I looked over their site I was confused on both, what’s my item worth and which tier My figures are in.

Reaction score
Your right on both accounts. When I looked over their site I was confused on both, what’s my item worth and which tier My figures are in.
When I sent mine in I compared mine with similar graded figures on Ebay. Then I had a approximate value. The value of mine were in either tier 1 or 2. I went with tier 1 because theres not that much difference in price between the two and you get free uv upgrade on tier 1.

Reaction score
When I sent mine in I compared mine with similar graded figures on Ebay. Then I had a approximate value. The value of mine were in either tier 1 or 2. I went with tier 1 because theres not that much difference in price between the two and you get free uv upgrade on tier 1.
what was time frame to get back, and I can expect around 100$ a pop?

Reaction score
I think mine took about a month to a month and a half to get back. It's a little more, I think tier 1 is $115, plus you have to include return shipping. Mine was $280.60 for tier 1, two 12 backs. They dont tell you on the website, but make sure you figure in signature confirmation for return shipping because of the value (there's a box in the form for it). I didn't, but fortunately they gave it to me for free.

Reaction score
Have some carded figures. Want to send some in for grading but wife is skeptical about sending, saying “what if they are dishonest about what we sent”? Have y’all ever heard of any bad juju with afa?
Yes, I trust AFA. I continue to get items graded by them. They are far supeior to CAS who has issues and barely has made any sort of impact on the market. Stick with a name collectors recognize, which is AFA.

Reaction score
In my opinion both AFA and CAS are fine. I have used them both and will continue to use them. My current plan is to submit my Kenner Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid MOC Collection at the Chicago Toy show on April 24th and 25th . CAS will be there and I have the 5 MOC Card Figures and the two horses I will be getting Graded.

Reaction score
I trust them but they take a good amount of time right now especially due to COVID so be prepared to wait.

Reaction score
I trust AFA and have been getting modern and vintage figures graded by them for about 15 years. Their website and submission process could use a little stream-lining and updating but they are happy to help if you have any questions. I also buy acrylic cases from them for figures I'm not planning on getting graded but would like to display. I usually wait for when they offer a sale price like on Black Friday or May the 4th.

Reaction score
AFA is fine, but it's worth considering CAS if you're happy with their grading system. AFA has been having some serious acrylic fabrication problems (I have seen way too many figures with pieces of acrylic broken off inside the case; never seen this with CAS and I've handled plenty of both) and has been super bogged down due to COVID.

Also, while it is true that AFA is generally worth more than CAS, it's not an enormous discrepancy. I've seen instances of very poor and very fair grading for either company.

Reaction score
All I can say is that AFA is the only one I will trust to grade my Razor Crest.
For such a new item with minimal authentification required, I doubt AFA versus CAS would have any real impact on the value, especially with how expensive grading would be. For items so new and so easy to acquire, it'd probably just be best to go with whatever's cheapest and will give you the most interesting case. Though, the case design is a lot less important if you're gonna leave it in the box.

Reaction score
For such a new item with minimal authentification required, I doubt AFA versus CAS would have any real impact on the value, especially with how expensive grading would be. For items so new and so easy to acquire, it'd probably just be best to go with whatever's cheapest and will give you the most interesting case. Though, the case design is a lot less important if you're gonna leave it in the box.
I been a long time AFA customer and I collect MISB/MOC so the only "value" I am looking at is the uniformity in my collection, I would never do CAS due to their Ken Black issues but putting that aside, I am not going to purchase any CAS items when my entire graded collection is AFA, just as I dont have anything from the English grader.

Reaction score
Ken Black
I'm not familiar with the name, what happened here?
English grader.
Good 'ol UKG. They're a really odd mix of quality, I don't like their system for overall grades but the individual grades for each category of the figure is massively helpful (paint etc). It's a shame CSG went under; their system seems like the best of all worlds.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I gave your original post, the articles, and some of the comments a read. It's unfortunate that the guy wasn't able to pay off the auction sales, but I don't really understand how that impacts the legitimacy behind CAS? If you check the CAS website, Ken Black is listed as their CAD/acrylic guy:

"Ken has spent the majority of the last 25 years in the antiques and collectibles market and has extensive experience on eBay and various other online marketplaces. He has a strong backgoround in AutoCAD and acrylic fabrication along with a background in computer networking and database programming while holding several Microsoft certifications."

In other words, he's probably largely responsible for designing and fabricating the cases, and isn't solely responsible over the toys they get sent. Which, if you don't have any of the cases, they are really nice quality. I'm still waiting to get an AFA Tusken Raider re-cased because one of their acrylic shoulder pegs fell off after it had been graded.

It's also probably worth noting that if Ken Black's involvement with CAS had any substantive impact on their business, they probably wouldn't have lasted the four years after that article you posted, and their figures wouldn't command the value they do on the aftermarket. I haven't heard of any allegations against CAS for things Black had done; it seems to only be by association with a business that has otherwise different management.