QUESTION Buying higher end items and trust issues - no one in particular, just a general question?

Reaction score
I only have a couple figures left to get caught up on where I want to be with my collection. I have accepted that I will likely have to pay a decent amount for them. There is a risk for repro parts and deception on the part of the seller. I have bought plenty of legit things on Ebay, but there is always that possibility and I don't care to deal with getting screwed.

First question: do I spend a little more for a graded example to insure that I'm getting all original parts?
Second question: is there a point where you would rather pick it up in person, even if it means a road trip or flight? At least you don't have to worry about it arriving crushed or lost or badly packaged or all the other nightmare things that happen? Insurance is fine and all, but with only a finite number of vintage items out there, it's more about protecting your investment long enough to actually see it.
Third question: Am I nuts or should I just have faith that the seller is a stand up person and will hold up their end of a bargain? Lol. I'd buy em on here but I havent had a bite on my wanted list.

Reaction score
Re third question, Sellers with a good reputation history tend to be reliable, and always always always make sure they have a reasonable return policy in case you are unhappy with the item. I wouldn't buy a high end item unless the seller offers returns.

Reaction score
I’ve seen plenty of repro weapons get pushed through with graded figures. Definitely not a guarantee.

Reaction score
What figures do you need? Post in the classifieds here. Word gets around here pretty quick if someone is scamming. There’s a bunch of great people on this board who are collectors who want to help others with their collections. But you ultimately will have to trust others to get your pieces. I’d take a shot here amongst collectors over the sellers on eBay (not that they are all bad I sell on eBay occasionally) K

Reaction score
What figures do you need? Post in the classifieds here. Word gets around here pretty quick if someone is scamming. There’s a bunch of great people on this board who are collectors who want to help others with their collections. But you ultimately will have to trust others to get your pieces. I’d take a shot here amongst collectors over the sellers on eBay (not that they are all bad I sell on eBay occasionally) K
Yes, totally agree thanks, I've had some very fair and solid deals at Rebelscum, and I would actually prefer to purchase from a member here. As I mentioned in my other thread, I used to have an account and was away for a while. My old login didn't work anymore so I'm on a new one.
Looking for 1. a loose, good condition R2D2 with legit Pop UP Sabre, 2. loose, good condition Luke Stormtrooper (I have an original helmet and weapon), Possibly will be looking for a loose Vinyl Jawa, Graded maybe, but that's a different investment all together, as we know. Beyond that, a complete Falcon and some original weapons if I discover any repro stuff, but I've tried hard to avoid repro except for stickers on an old A-Wing..

Reaction score
I don't know what you still need to get but I wouldn't bother travelling to pick up a loose figure unless it was REALLY close or it was worth 5 figures (complete DT ben and/or vader mostly). For carded the worry is more about shipping a ROTJ/POTF fragile brown bubble but I still wouldn't bother unless it was several thousand and one of the figures known to break bubbles like Nikto