Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1630685004293.png
1630685156973.png
1630685190901.png
1630685201798.png

Gentle Giant, Ltd. is proud to present our newest Premier Guild and Entertainment Earth team-up exclusive, Grand Moff Tarkin™! Inspired by the events in Star Wars: A New Hope, this 2021 Premier Guild exclusive represents the latest in a new series of Jumbo Figures spotlighting the entirety of the Star Wars saga. This depiction of Wilhuff Tarkin™ features the Death Star™ commander with classically styled sculpting and details; including a removable command staff! The poseable Jumbo Figure is styled to resemble the Star Wars figures of old, but at an epic 12-inch scale. It is manufactured to exacting standards, and comes packaged in a resealable clamshell blister card.

Available exclusively to 2021 Premier Guild Members for pre-order at www.gentlegiantltd.com starting Friday, September 3rd at 9 a.m. PST/ 12 p.m. EST.

Reaction score
Just go the email on this! Interesting. Not a fan of the curved arm though.
Just re-release the ESB Line!

Reaction score
Was he ever seen with a staff in the movie? I don’t think so right? Interesting choice of accessory. Assuming that he won’t be holding it like that in the package. Most likely will be placed right next to him.

Also, this is not a PGM exclusive, I got an email from EE that they have him for preorder as well.

Reaction score
Pretty cool figure. I'm glad to see this line continue.

Reaction score
Wait does this mean the Han Stormtrooper is no longer being offered?

Reaction score
Looks like a drum major ready to go out and twirl his baton. Or a drum grand moff if you prefer. Easy pass. Constructive criticism: face needs to be much more gaunt and eyebrows need to be lighter. And that arm, come on... looks like he wants to hold a basketball.

Last edited:

Dax

Reaction score
What an absolute fail :( How could anyone approve the sculpt of that arm??? It was just totally unnecessary to have it bent in the first place or give him Ackbar's staff which is another "what the?" decision.

The really sad thing is that GG will probably look at the sales of that abomination and decide that collectors don't want figures that were outside the original Kenner releases. There absolutely is a demand for that, but they need to be well executed. I'd even just settle for competently executed actually.

It's potentially the figure to launch a thousand memes. Is Tarkin carrying a basketball, does he need his arm in a sling, is he carrying his bowling ball for Friday night bowling at the Death Star, is he playing the circle game, should there be a sheaf of rolled up blueprints for the Death Star stuffed in there, should he come with a small fluffy Chihuahua that he carries under that arm, is he making a distracting gesture to hide his magic trick while he tries out for Penn & Teller: Fool Us?

Unfortunately I'm sure it's already too late to just give him two straight arms and an Imperial Blaster but that's all they needed to do, and they screwed it up.

Reaction score
Hrmmmm.. Yeah. Mixed feelings on this one. Love the concept... love that we are getting a retro Tarkin... but that janky bent arm? *SMH* Granted the bent arm is not without precedent (see Twin-Pod Cloud Car Pilot, Wequay, kind of), but all of the other figures with staffs have straight arms (Ackbar, Madine, Klatuu). I don't even mind the fact he has Ackbar's staff, as that is something that Kenner might do... but also that headsculpt looks less like Peter Cushing than the Hasbro one. It looks more like Baltar from Battlestar Galactica than Tarkin.

And I don't mind getting new figures/characters in the line that Kenner never made, but there should be a MIX of old and new. This is like 5-6 NEW in a row (the only "classic" figure in there was that 7th release of Boba Fett on the made up cardback)

Just my $.02 as always, your mileage may vary.

D.

Reaction score
100% trash, I wouldn't buy this if it was $10.
That face looks like Dean Stockwell. And the ludicrous bent arm with an accessory the character never had in the films - looks like reused parts from a Police Academy figure of Captain Harris.

Reaction score
Terrible.
Why not the Imperial Commander or AT-AT Commander? Or as someone above has already said, finish the ESB release of figures! Rebel Commander, Cloud Car Pilot, Bespin Security Guards (sold as a pair), FX-7, LOBOT!!!!

Reaction score
Terrible.
Why not the Imperial Commander or AT-AT Commander? Or as someone above has already said, finish the ESB release of figures! Rebel Commander, Cloud Car Pilot, Bespin Security Guards (sold as a pair), FX-7, LOBOT!!!!
Yeah the Imperial Commander would have made more sense. Heck give us Lobot. I wonder who at Diamond/GG thought this was a good idea.

Reaction score
Terrible.
Hey GG, stop drinking during the concept phase and start a line of Kenner Jumbo two packs on RotJ cards. Mix in older figures if you have to.
I'd buy Lando + Lobot. Rebel Soldier + Rebel Commander. Cloud Car Pilot + Bespin Security Guard. SQUID HEAD AND REE YEES!

Reaction score
Lando + Lobot. Rebel Soldier + Rebel Commander. Cloud Car Pilot + Bespin Security Guard. SQUID HEAD AND REE YEES!

Couldn't agree more! A couple of more suggestions GG!
  1. FX-7 with a re-issued 2-1B
  2. AT-AT Commander with a re-issued AT-AT Driver!

Reaction score
Personally I don’t really mind them making characters that were never in the original line (better than another Boba Fett variant IMO). But it’s true that there are actual Kenner figures that still haven’t been made, and the likeness is not quite there. Plus that arm doesn’t seem very vintagey to me. I wouldn’t have put it past Kenner to give him an accessory like that though.

Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't scan the Retro Collection Gov Tarkin that Hasbro put out last year with the board game.....that's far better looking Tarkin than this rendition of Peter Cushing from GG......

Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't scan the Retro Collection Gov Tarkin that Hasbro put out last year with the board game.....that's far better looking Tarkin than this rendition of Peter Cushing from GG......
I mean, I'm sure the Tarkin that came with the game is probably a digital sculpt to begin with, so there wouldn't even be any scanning required -- just scale it up. But GG and Hasbro are different companies so neither of these things seem very likely to happen.

Reactions: Dax